The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always been a fan of military watches, but a milsub is way beyond my means. However, thankfully you can obtain a mil watch for more reasonable money!

Late last year I picked up this lovely Pulsar G10. The only thing it needed was a new crystal, which was simplicity itself to fit - remove the movement, push out the crystal from the back and press in a new one.

It was issued in 2011, so it doesn't have much history, but it was issued and that's all that mattered to me. All markings on the caseback are engraved rather than stamped and I've put some clear helicopter tape over them to stop them rubbing away.

The watch is incredibly light and you forget you're wearing it, quartz accurate and looks pretty good on a NATO through its fixed spring bars - proper military :)

The outstanding feature of the watch is the lume. Pictures don't do it justice. It is really impressive!

Now I have read that they're not that tough, that crown/stems can fall out, that the crystal can pop out. I don't think that's going to happen whilst on the 'caring' wrist of your average WIS, but I dare say such things could happen to any watch given the rigours of a battlefield. It is what it is, a low cost military issue watch. Cheap to mend, cheapish to replace if needs be.

The movement is nothing special (1 jewel IIRC!). But it's quartz, the hands are fine and must weigh nothing, so it's not got to do much work. Knowing Seiko design it'll go on forever :)

All in all, I'm impressed and it's a very affordable entry into the world of mil watches.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
These are nice little watches, but do have common reports of the issues you mentioned. I also believe that this would not occur under normal everyday WIS wear.

Here is my one I also picked up a couple of years ago for a very good price.

·
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice photos Anthony.....showing the black dial correctly......I must get the hang of 'white balance' when taking pictures!

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
that is a beauty..i wear a snk 809 every day...love the look of yours

·
Registered
42 Posts
Love them - so legible and the lume is impressive. No clutter or uneeded decoration, making it really easy to glance the time from any angle. Even the dial font for the numerals is plainer, some other models are more unnecessarily 'serif'.

Anybody actually have any problems with the crystal or the winder? Maybe just another of these internet myths that become fact! Although mine havent been subject to anywhere near battlefield or military conditions, no problems at all with them here, in about 10 years use.

Seems to be 2 variants - longer and shorter hands. Prefer the long, closer to the minute indices, short seem too stumpty.

Got them on a selection of NATOs :- khaki, olive green, sand and also a navy with single orange stripe straps - look great and are really light and comfortable too.

Well worth the what ~30 GBP on ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Enjoy your watch. I have a Lorus military quartz watch with incredible lume which has to be one of the best value watches out there for only 25 GBP: highly recommend it.
Best, Bal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts