The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a thread on another forum where a member put a Mickey Mouse dial in a SKX and made an awesome Mickey diver. In the thread the member mentioned how he needed to take off the date/day wheel and change the size of the holes for the hands to fit. He also had to trim the dial down a bit. In the end, it looked like such an awesome an unique piece I thought I would try to put one together. My question to all you experts out there is there a tutorial somewhere that will walk me through taking off the day/date wheel? Also and probably most important, is there any one out there in the US that would like to help me size the hands to fit the seiko movement? My kids love Mickey above all else and I think they would really enjoy dad's Mickey watch. To size the dial I was going to slow use some sand paper since I don't have access to a lathe. Thanks to anyone that can give me info or offer to help me

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
It'd be hugely cheaper and easier to transplant the original quartz into the SKX case. You're understating the difficulty of the mods needed, you say "trim the dial down a bit" the owner said "the dial had to be machined" - a big difference. If you have to ask how to remove day/date wheels etc, I think you need to think again about this.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I might offer a slightly different perspective as someone who recently started modding. Go ahead and try it, but set your expectations accordingly. You're going to screw up big time, but you'll learn a lot. It may take you three or four tries to get something you'd actually wear as a watch. But so long as you don't expect to make something flawless the first go round, there's a lot of fun and satisfaction in the process. At least that's been my experience so far ....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I was picking a semi easy mod to begin with. I am open to learning new things and that's one of the main reasons why I want to start modding. I figure that if I start modding, it will help diversify my love for watches. As far as "asking how to remove day/date wheel" once again didn't think it was an overly ambitious question. I've learned quite a few things from reading walkthroughs and simply watching videos a few times. I'm of the belief that just about anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If its something you want to try go for it. A good way to learn is to do. Thats whats great about these watches.. not that expensive if you mess up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts