The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda off topic, I do ride, but no harley, just riding older hondas, suzukis. I know I get lots of vibration and turbulence etc. I'm assuming the harleys seem to have much more roar and vibration.

Over time, would this or has this ever effected your mechanical watches in a negative way where you needed servicing?

Just curious if i should wear my g-shocks for riding and leave the vintage mechanicals off the bike?

Thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
there are many people who do ride with mechanical watches.
But since you have a choice (as I do), when riding I prefer to wear something less sensitive.
I'd ride with a G-shock or any quartz.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Time said:
I'd ride with a G-shock or any quartz.
I have to agree. Mechanicals are tough, but for some working environments quartz is better equipped to handle the "thousand natural shocks that flesh is heir to". (W Shakespeare - early WIS.)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Great post dave! Ive been wondering the same thing.
My new to me V-Star 1100 Custom is a Loud road beast... Been wearing Quartz when riding to be safe...

This one usually...

Or this one... I just had the aftermarket shroud installed, now i'm looking for a cleaner bezel and this one will be perfect again. :) I've just sent my other back out for more work. The time and money I spend on Arnies is just ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
As Others have said, you'll probably be fine, but why tempt fate. Surely the type of bike will affect it (say a dirtbike versus a goldwing). Still if you ride a lot, eventually that constant vibration can't be good for the long term health of a mechanical movement.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Isthmus said:
Still if you ride a lot, eventually that constant vibration can't be good for the long term health of a mechanical movement.
I would be more worried about constant vibration then once in a while a thud on a mechanical watch. And yes, the kind of bike will affect this. On a GW or a modern big Beemer I doubt this would be an issue, but with a Hardley Ableson or a thumper I would be VERY worried.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ha ha Love the floorboards and the highway pegs! Nice Bagger! I was just researching HD's last night. They have some great models out. So many with 1584 cc engines. I was suprised.

Hey so you do ride with an automatic Valvestem?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
valvestem said:
My 10 year old Harley Davidson just said he was upset at that remark...
[/quote]

Oh come on, what other brand can be easier to pick on? ;D
Seriously though, nothing against the [u]modern[/u] bikes (VERY good machines IMHO), just against the brand and the usual crowd that rides them, the so called "1%ers".

·
Registered
146 Posts
I regularly wear my SKX007 when mountainbiking. The vibrations there are MUCH worse than what you get on a motorbike on the road! The watch is fine so far.

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I really can't say the same about the Rolex crowd or even the Casio crowd, in fact I have a few Casios myself, but most of the HD crowd that I know are mostly snobs and generally arseholes - the kind that don't wave to other bikers when on the road if they're not "1%ers" :-[ . However, for that to be a rule, there are exceptions, I even know a few of them. Even so, twice I did not buy Hardleys just not to be confused with the HD crowd.
A real shame, since their newer bikes are very good. Specially the V-Rod, fantastic steed.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I hear ya Luw. I really do... There are some snobs who don't wave. I wave to all people on 2 wheels! :) I throw 2 fingers down towards the pavment for all bikers. If I cant because my hands are busy, I nod. Was just cranking down the highway at 85 with an Arnie on my wrist. Buggy out there tonight.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi. I ride 2010 VRod Muscle and wear a Black Monster on Black Silicon Strap. So far watch is completely unaffected by riding but at the price of a Monster who cares. I am a bit disappointed that some people are judging fellow forumers (and others) by their ride. For the record - the average Harley rider is over 45, in a professional occupation and earns over $80k US per year. I don't see anything sinister or snobish within that demographic. Most of us are family men or frequently grandparents. I went on a ride organised by Harley last Sunday for VRod only. Around 60 bikes with most riders as straight as you could imagine or as I say mainstream characters. Obviously there is another type of rider, but as they say 1%. Cheers Phil

·
Registered
197 Posts
Jan-10 said:
Ha ha Love the floorboards and the highway pegs! Nice Bagger! I was just researching HD's last night. They have some great models out. So many with 1584 cc engines. I was suprised.

Hey so you do ride with an automatic Valvestem?

All the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts