The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you had the choice would you rather have Brando's Rolex or Martin Sheen's Seiko 6105-8110?

·
Registered
541 Posts
I know it's like that from the movie and all, but someone please get that thing a proper bezel!! Sheeesh!!

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Vintage Watch market logic is astounding. Marlon Brando took the Bezel off and threw it in Subic Bay in the Philippines and then etched his Name on the caseback. Missing Bezel and Etched Name = Lower Value. Because the watch was owned by "The Generation's Greatest Actor" and worn by Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now = Priceless :eek:hmy:

I know next to nothing about Vintage Rolex prices (although I love Rolex Subs). How much would a Rolex GMT in similar condition normally sell for?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
$10,000 - $15,000 is a rule of thumb providing all the parts are there. Ghost faded and particular bezel brings a premium as do precious metals. Condition and originality are value standards as is the provenance of course.

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$10,000 - $15,000 is a rule of thumb providing all the parts are there.
Thank You! So I quess it would be safe to assume that any price over say$10,000 would be the price premium paid for provenance. According to the auction spokesperson a pre-sale estimate for the watch has yet to be decided. The watch will be listed in the catalog as “estimate upon request.”

No Worries... I will not be bidding :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28,402 Posts
If you had the choice would you rather have Brando's Rolex or Martin Sheen's Seiko 6105-8110?
The fact that a watch belonged to or was used by a "celebrity" would hold no interest for me.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'd take Brando's gmt every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Besides the 1675 being a overall better watch, Brando was a way better actor. 😁

<* shark >>><

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally Brando is getting some respect...

Kurtz:
Did they say why, Willard, why they want to terminate my command?

Willard:
I was sent on a classified mission, sir.

Kurtz:
It's no longer classified, is it? Did they tell you?

Willard:
They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.

Kurtz:
Are my methods unsound?

Willard:
I don't see any method at all, sir.

·
Special Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I don't think "respect" for Marlon Brando was ever an issue, at least not with Jack Nicholson:

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/remembering-marlon-brando-by-jack-nicholson-187366/
Excellent article :) It sounds like Jack Nicholson was understandably very intimidated by Brando. I actually think in Apocalypse Now Martin Sheen and his Seiko 6105 does an excellent job by 'Not' being intimidated by Brando and his Rolex. Willard shows respect to Kurtz but at the same time knows he has a mission to accomplish.

Thanks for sharing the article.

·
Registered
24,651 Posts
The fact that a watch belonged to or was used by a "celebrity" would hold no interest for me.
^^^What Norm Said^^^;) I'd rather have the 6105

1 - 20 of 34 Posts