The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice... Handwind-only, right?

Tonight a new battery goes into my Marathon Navigator and I'll give it a whirl again...

-Slonie

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tonight a new battery goes into my Marathon Navigator and I'll give it a whirl again...

Yes, handwind only. Yes, give that Navigator a whirl. Here is mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts

Yes, handwind only. Yes, give that Navigator a whirl. Here is mine.
Ah man, I wish I had a metal-bodied Navigator! Mine's a composite model from 2003. I just really wanted an issue watch and that was what was available at a reasonable price.

I was actually planning on selling it, but I'm pretty sure I'll revisit that plan after getting it running again (let alone it having very little "as-new" value anymore, now that it's over ten years old).

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
well those are gorgeous watches...i have been eyeing one for a very long time...what do you all think of the fit and finish?...how do they wear size wise?...i would love to hear some feedback...really need a good daily watch...God Bless John

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John, the plastic Marathon I received today is keeping perfect time. I can't tell from the caseback or accompanying literature what the movement is. It is a manual wind, hacking Swiss movement. The dial is Tritium. I got it for $149.99 off of Amazon this past weekend.

My steel Marathon is one of the ones made back in 2000 or so from some cases left over from the first Gulf war. These are collectable, but I don't know how hard they are to find. It is quartz with Tritium and keeps great time.

My wrist is 7.25, so you can get a sense on how they wear.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
well thank you..which one do you prefer?...i have heard good things about them too

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
well it looks great and great work too

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I love marathon watches myself. I received an original first design general purpose plastic case watch in a grab bag lot. I think they are known as the "red box" series. It is a one piece case with a manual wind Swiss movement in it. Unfortunately the crystal was gone and one of the tritium tubes had fallen off. Very strange design. The stem is help in place by a small pin that can be seen in the backside of the case. You push it into the case and the stem then slides out. I am not sure how you were suppose to remove the acrylic lens. I guess a tool like Seiko has that compresses the edges in enough to let it clear the lip. I contacted Marathon and sadly no replacement parts are offered.
In the end for some reason I actually ended up buying the JSAR Diver with a mechanical Swiss made Automatic 25 jewel ETA 2824-A2 automatic movement. A lot of money but also a lot of watch.
Still there is something I really like about the mechanical general purpose Marathon. Probably because you are getting a high quality Swiss movement and I have always like the Tritium tubes even though the new MaraGlo seems to have equaled it in performace now.
Here is my government issue Marathon

·
Registered
100 Posts
I always lusted after the SAR from when they first came out... Eventually my friend bought a TSAR quartz with the bracelet... As far as I know that's still his daily driver, not being a WIS per se. I would have taken the automatic, of course... So, good choice!

Side note: The SAR rubber straps still seem to be available over at Broadarrow, I've thought about picking one up for one of my other watches... Is that's what's on yours?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well thank you..which one do you prefer?...i have heard good things about them too.

John, which do I prefer? That is hard to answer since they are so different. The steel Marathon is a very nice vintage "military" watch. Keeps great time. The Tritium is still very visible after all of this time. It is not a heavy watch. It is at a different price point than the plastic one.

The plastic Marathon is so light you forget you have it on. It is far lighter feeling than any plastic digital watch I own. I own a Stocker and Yale that is very similar to this Marathon--17 jewel, Swiss Made, hacking manual wind, etc..--Both watches are fun to wear and I do enjoy how light they are.

In the end, if I had to choose, I'd pick the steel one, but that is just me.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Mike we so have the same tastes...that is a gorgeous watch...great choice

I love marathon watches myself. I received an original first design general purpose plastic case watch in a grab bag lot. I think they are known as the "red box" series. It is a one piece case with a manual wind Swiss movement in it. Unfortunately the crystal was gone and one of the tritium tubes had fallen off. Very strange design. The stem is help in place by a small pin that can be seen in the backside of the case. You push it into the case and the stem then slides out. I am not sure how you were suppose to remove the acrylic lens. I guess a tool like Seiko has that compresses the edges in enough to let it clear the lip. I contacted Marathon and sadly no replacement parts are offered.
In the end for some reason I actually ended up buying the JSAR Diver with a mechanical Swiss made Automatic 25 jewel ETA 2824-A2 automatic movement. A lot of money but also a lot of watch.
Still there is something I really like about the mechanical general purpose Marathon. Probably because you are getting a high quality Swiss movement and I have always like the Tritium tubes even though the new MaraGlo seems to have equaled it in performace now.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Well to be honest i am really not sure...i love the idea of the mechanical but recently with the addition of my Chase Durer...and i see they make a very high quality quartz now too...i am a big guy so any watch needs to be a little large...i really want to see one in person...but you all have now made me add the Marathon to my must have's....i think i am leaning towards a mechanical metal one if one exists..and i love the vintage look too...the one Mike has really is to my liking too...Droyal of your two watches shown...the second one is my favorite...very classic lines...very elegant...

well thank you..which one do you prefer?...i have heard good things about them too.

John, which do I prefer? That is hard to answer since they are so different. The steel Marathon is a very nice vintage "military" watch. Keeps great time. The Tritium is still very visible after all of this time. It is not a heavy watch. It is at a different price point than the plastic one.

The plastic Marathon is so light you forget you have it on. It is far lighter feeling than any plastic digital watch I own. I own a Stocker and Yale that is very similar to this Marathon--17 jewel, Swiss Made, hacking manual wind, etc..--Both watches are fun to wear and I do enjoy how light they are.

In the end, if I had to choose, I'd pick the steel one, but that is just me.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The top opening watches are a bit odd, I agree. My Stocker and Yale is that way. I love your Marathon. I have a JSAR and also picked up a couple of stopwatches over the years.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
very sweet....

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I always lusted after the SAR from when they first came out... Eventually my friend bought a TSAR quartz with the bracelet... As far as I know that's still his daily driver, not being a WIS per se. I would have taken the automatic, of course... So, good choice!

Side note: The SAR rubber straps still seem to be available over at Broadarrow, I've thought about picking one up for one of my other watches... Is that's what's on yours?
Yes that is the original strap the watch came with when I bought it from Marathon. Still can figure out why it smell like vanilla over 18 months later? It's comfortable but I do like the SS band Marathon offers for it.

Michael

1 - 20 of 24 Posts