The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can a person find a manual wind watch for under $1000 ? I didn't ask why it is so difficult to find one because I already know the answer to that . They stopped making them when Quartz watches came out . I found an Omega manual wind watch in a store but it costs over $5000 . Is there anything available for under $1000 and where would I find it ?

I also read on the internet that it is recommended that automatics be hand winded occasionally to keep it running good , is this true ? What position should the crown be in to hand wind an Emporium Armani self winding mechanical watch ? I find this to be a bit confusing that self winding automatics can also be hand winded ?

·
Registered
530 Posts
There aren't many for under a grand but otherwise there are plenty. Check out Lumtec and Archimede. There are others and I'm sure folks will chime in with some.

Auto are usually manually wound if they haven't been used and are run down. otherwise let the mechanism do the work.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Don't like to admit this but I bought an Alpha the other day that has a chinese manual winding chrono movement. Cost well under $1000:93:

What about those Russian thingybobs, they must do some handwinders.

Tony is right though, best to go vintage for some nice time pieces for reasonable cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, you could look for a watch with unitas 6497/6498.
These are hand winding calibers. There should be New watches for under your limit.

gesendet von irgendeinem Gerät mit Strom drin.

·
Registered
29,146 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I am assuming you don't want a Japanese watch, however Orient Star has a nice manual wind watch.

I've never heard that you need to hand wind an auto to keep it running well. I've heard the opposite- you should avoid winding them. I am sceptical of both arguments.

·
Registered
844 Posts
There are plenty out there...including nice selections from Hamilton and Bulova Accutron ( which is now owned by Citizen, and no longer houses the Accutron tuning fork movements).

Two things drive price...cost/profit and what a buyer will pay...the latter being arguably the most important.

·
Registered
423 Posts
MCCABE Timepieces....... mccabewatches.com

They have quite a few Auto and Hand wind pieces.

I have a Lurgan and love it.

When I reach 5 posts I'll come back and add a photo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts