The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I dunno mini, it could be a good thing! ::)

I'm sure our watches are but a small part of the top level politics at the huge Seiko Corporation, but perhaps bringing a Hattori back as the head will help our beloved brand.

Maybe we’ll get some authentic designs again, and less of this horrible "parts rehash" we've been seeing for some time, like the Samurai replacements, the new "Alpinists", the new "Fieldmasters" and so forth.

Who knows, it might be "Hattori Heaven"! O:) And thank you for the news! :-*

- Thomas

·
Registered
147 Posts
The new chief is a founding family member. From what I see at Ford and Toyota, when a founding family member is brought in to clean up the house, the resistance is usually less (but it may also mean the company is in big trouble). Hope everything goes well with Seiko. Maybe we will see more Grand Seiko here in USA.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, Bill Ford was not able to pull out Ford Motor Company from its nosedive while he was at the helm. I credit much of Ford's current success to their CEO, Alan Mullaly, that is not part of the Ford family but actually came from the Helm at Boeing. Mullaly was a total outsider and he was able to point out and effectively identify all the stupidities Ford was doing, like killing the Taurus nameplate in favor of the humdrum "Five Hundred" sedan that proved to be a huge market flop. I really like the fruits of his current tenure.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thomas said:
I dunno mini, it could be a good thing! ::)

I'm sure our watches are but a small part of the top level politics at the huge Seiko Corporation, but perhaps bringing a Hattori back as the head will help our beloved brand.

Maybe we’ll get some authentic designs again, and less of this horrible "parts rehash" we've been seeing for some time, like the Samurai replacements, the new "Alpinists", the new "Fieldmasters" and so forth.

Who knows, it might be "Hattori Heaven"! O:) And thank you for the news! :-*

- Thomas

I agree there with you, Thomas. I am not a fan of the parts bin sharing of late either. Some of their new watches like the Alpinists are a disservice to the prior generation they replace. I think Seiko's obsession to go up market is not the most healthy one at the moment.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Ah yes, nothing like a little nepotism to set things straight. Funny how the article says nothing about removing the uncle from the board. Dididn't something similar happen at toyota a few months ago?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Isthmus said:
Ah yes, nothing like a little nepotism to set things straight. Funny how the article says nothing about removing the uncle from the board. Dididn't something similar happen at toyota a few months ago?
Noticed that one too. ;D Here's the New Young Guy!(sneak uncle quietly out the side door). I hope it works, though honestly didn't know they were having troubles.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Yeah they've been reporting losses in their watch operations for years. You can see it in their annual reports and public board meetings. The main brightspot they've had (at least until the last time I read) was on their higher end product, which is where the bulk of their watch operation's profit was coming from. I believe that is at least part of the reason why they've been expanding Seiko's presence in the higher end of the market.

If you look in the corporate section of their japanese website (it is also available in english) you can download several years worth of reports.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts