The Watch Site banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

One of my favorite parts of this hobby is trying to be eagle-eyed and catch diamonds in the rough in large lots. A couple weeks back I spotted this lot only a couple hours before it ended - or, I should say, I probably ignored seeing it several times before that point:

Most of it was not much to look at in terms of condition, but there were a lot of really nice pieces, including a Hisonic and a couple of nice 60s dress watches. With plenty of obvious parts watches and nothing described as running, I wasn't surprised to see it was only at about $200 with a few hours left on the clock. However, if you collect early quartz, you might also have noticed one hugely rare piece amongst the others...

That unusually speckled black dial quartz model appeared to be an intact Citizen EFA 8810, seen in this catalog shot (credit to Akable) for sale for an eye-watering ¥135,000.

That's about $500 USD at the time, or about $3,250 in today's dollars. By comparison, with that you could pick up three Seiko 6159-7001 300M divers, or seven 6105-811Xs, and still have money left over.

I could never fully/accurately describe what makes these watches so unique, but you can read more about them here and here. In short, the EFA was the most accurate version (+/- 5 seconds per month) of Citizen's first quartz watches, which were a strange combination of a quartz crystal oscillator combined with a standard mechanical balance. These were produced very briefly and very few survived in running condition, perhaps related to their astonishing beat rate of 115,200 bph. This ultra high-beat movement makes the second hand glide akin to a tuning fork or modern Spring Drive.

Back to the now, I had just recently seen this thread on TOF, marking the only time I've actually seen an EFA sell at auction. It brought in over ¥90,000 as a non-runner, meaning I thought I wouldn't be going after one anytime soon. But seeing the current bid, I decided to throw in a real bid for it, and won it (with all the other pieces) for substantially less than that. Of course, it was a massive gamble given that I could barely see the watch, and I had every possible sign it was part of the seller's junk heap. But it arrived today, and a healthy-looking LR44 battery popped out of the back. I popped in a brand new 303, and lo and behold...

I can't seem to embed a video, but if you click here you should see it running. Granted, it's not going to win any beauty contests, but it's an honest-to-goodness example with a near-perfect dial and handset. It's one of the rarest watches I own, and I'm quite glad for my stroke of luck!

·
Special Member
1,104 Posts
Awesome that you picked it up. And that it works - fantastic. I would humbly offer the advice to get it serviced as that balance wheel is working VERY hard. As for the looks department, I think these are very distinctive and immediately noticeable - which is what this sort of watch should absolutely be. It would be one of my choices to wear if ever I was invited to lunch with chairman of Citizen Watch Co. Ltd. If you tire of wearing it, I would be happy to relieve you of that burden!

·
Special Member
9,078 Posts
Wow Brian great find and a great thread thanks for the write-up.

Not luck my friend - you earned it ! You made it happen yourself with your knowledge and perseverance and of course your eagle eyes !

Love seeing a great coup and happy for you.

·
Special Member & Premium Member
1,420 Posts
There is a super jet amongst your purchase
These are great watches and becoming very collectable
The citizen sevens and the cosmotrons you have also fit in this group and are worth restoring-depending on costs
Good purchase
(y).

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a super jet amongst your purchase
These are great watches and becoming very collectable
The citizen sevens and the cosmotrons you have also fit in this group and are worth restoring-depending on costs
Good purchase
(y).
I do love those deeply-stamped Super Jet casebacks, but alas this one was really trashed. I am resurrecting at least one of the cosmotrons (which worked with a battery) and combining the two manual seven models (with the neat dual-display day window at 12) into one running example.

I also just discovered another non-running example of the EFA (admittedly with nicer cosmetics than mine) sold at auction on 3/1/22 for ¥209,000, so I am feeling even luckier. Regardless of cost, that's got to be some kind of record... three of them showing up for auction in ~7 months.

·
Special Member & Premium Member
1,420 Posts
I do love those deeply-stamped Super Jet casebacks, but alas this one was really trashed. I am resurrecting at least one of the cosmotrons (which worked with a battery) and combining the two manual seven models (with the neat dual-display day window at 12) into one running example.

I also just discovered another non-running example of the EFA (admittedly with nicer cosmetics than mine) sold at auction on 3/1/22 for ¥209,000, so I am feeling even luckier. Regardless of cost, that's got to be some kind of record... three of them showing up for auction in ~7 months.
I am starting to think that watches appear for sale like some cozmic wave, I'll search for a year or so for a particular watch with no success then after I overpay for the first one I see - bang 2 more appear

Reactions: RossR

·
Poet Laureate
1,293 Posts
Does that citizen LCD in the top row work? I have some parts and I think a working module with a degraded polarizing filter. Happy to see if there are enough pieces to make a working example if you're keen

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does that citizen LCD in the top row work? I have some parts and I think a working module with a degraded polarizing filter. Happy to see if there are enough pieces to make a working example if you're keen
It didn't start with a new battery, and I did steal the bracelet for the EFA, but if you want it it's all yours - just PM me your address. I'm happy to spread the good fortune :).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts