The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vintage Benrus hand wind that was really running too fast so I opened it up and started to regulate it with the balance adjustment finger . Before I started , I made a small mark with a sharpie at the starting point of the adjuster . I moved it toward the [ - ] minus mark a little at a time and checked it every day or two but saw no improvement at all . I saw the You Tube video on The Watch Repair Channel on what might make a watch run fast , and being magnetized was a main reason . I bought a de-magnetizer on Ebay [ approx. $10 ] , and tried the watch on it....easy , just push a button . Almost immediately I noticed that the watch was now running too slow after my adjustments . I slowly started to move the adjustment finger back towards the [ + ] positive and in a couple of days when I got back to my original starting point , the watch was back on time . I have now also put my screwdrivers , tweezers , etc. on the unit and made sure that they were also not magnetized .

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought a 2206 ladies watch from ebay. It was described as fully functional. Except that it gained 20 minutes an hour which they forgot to mention. I looked at the hair spring and it seemed to be bunched up. Those demagnetizers had mixed reviews. I read somewhere about using a soldering gun, trigger type, for this. It seems to be the same general electrical principle. I needed a new soldering gun anyway so I bought one.

It took a few passes using various techniques but it worked. The watch keeps perfect time now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts