The Watch Site banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting a Luminox but the glow seems to be pretty weak (the salesman tells me they're much brighter)
Does anyone ever seen a Luminox glow at night and can compare to a regular new Seikoi diver ?


Thanks
Gaspar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
The gas tubes are not as bright as lumed material, but they have the advantage of not needing light to charge them so what you see is what you get for at least 10 years or so. After that they will eventually fade to black as the radioactivity decays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
No it's not as bright as an initially charged SKX007. But after 15 minutes it's equal to any non tritium tube watch. I don't like the look of trit tubes during the day even though I wear a Luminox everyday....it's my work watch I'm a contractor. I've had another Luminox for 12 years now and it is barely noticeable, but it has lost a touch of brightness. As far as I know they will last more along the lines of 20+ years.

A lume test I did eons ago: (Luminox is bottom right corner there are several watches in here inclu 2 seikos a monster and a sumo)

The Luminox tested



And here is the link to the test I did if you are interested ----> click here

Initial charge:



15 minutes later:



2 hours later

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
nhoJ said:
The gas tubes are not as bright as lumed material, but they have the advantage of not needing light to charge them so what you see is what you get for at least 10 years or so. After that they will eventually fade to black as the radioactivity decays.
The lume will stay constant through the night - but it will decay, year by year, during the first 10 years. It may even go completely - I had a Nite tube fail completely when it couldn't have been even five years old. I'd only consider tritium tube illumination on a cheap watch that I'd be ok disposing of if the lume decayed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The watch store surprised me with the Lume tubes are only warrantied for 3 years and watch for 1 or 2 (I can't remember). So with a warranty that short how can they say its good for 25 years?
I'm having mixed feelings...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
oracle said:
The watch store surprised me with the Lume tubes are only warrantied for 3 years and watch for 1 or 2 (I can't remember). So with a warranty that short how can they say its good for 25 years?
I'm having mixed feelings...
What watch store? iirc Luminox guarantees their trit tube watches to stay the same brightness for 10 years then slowly dissipate after-wards... going on to say (this is what they used to claim they were recently bought out) they would last up to 20+ years. This might have changed in the last 2 years, but this is what they used to claim. I was into Luminox in the mid 90's when people knew very little about them. They had a very poor marketing team/plan and customer support was zero nil nada back then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jbdan said:
What watch store? iirc Luminox guarantees their trit tube watches to stay the same brightness for 10 years then slowly dissipate after-wards... going on to say (this is what they used to claim they were recently bought out) they would last up to 20+ years. This might have changed in the last 2 years, but this is what they used to claim. I was into Luminox in the mid 90's when people knew very little about them. They had a very poor marketing team/plan and customer support was zero nil nada back then.

I was in Dallas last week and in the outlet mall one of the watches stores.. I guess the guy there didn't know much and/or I don't much much about new watches and how warranties are applied, in fact in the Luminox website they say you need to buy from a distributor for the warranty to be effective so I guess ebay is out of the question, my daily watches are ~1968 Accutrons that I didn't buy new as I wasn't in this planet yet. Now that I think... I have never bought a new watch!


And just to keep things interesting here's the culprit:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
oracle said:
I was in Dallas last week and in the outlet mall one of the watches stores.. I guess the guy there didn't know much and/or I don't much much about new watches and how warranties are applied, in fact in the Luminox website they say you need to buy from a distributor for the warranty to be effective so I guess ebay is out of the question, my daily watches are ~1968 Accutrons that I didn't buy new as I wasn't in this planet yet. Now that I think... I have never bought a new watch!


And just to keep things interesting here's the culprit:
Ahh I see. I've never seen that model it looks pretty daRn sharp! I'm wondering have you asked them what model this is and how old it is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is model 1822 and still available on luminox's website so it is a current model.
Much nicer in person!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Nice looking you going to go for it? Maybe you could try it on in store then purchase it from an online AD at a much better price?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top