The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear divewatch lovers,

Based on YouTube reviews, I recently bought the Citizen EcoZilla BJ8050 as it seems to be a dedicated tool for diving purposes.

But how disappointed I was when I realize that the luminescence only last for... several minutes!

I tried the full day in front of the window and the luminescence already died during the evening! So when I woke up during the night, I had to switch the lamp on in order to see my pseudo-luminescent watch!

So, I've 2 questions:
  • is it normal?
  • if yes, how could you consider a luminescent watch that dies before you end your dives or your nights?

For the record, I'm using a Luminox watch for 10 years now... no need of window or any kind of exposure on sunny days... it is still readable during nights and/or dives.

If there're any professionnal divers on the forum, what kind of watch would you recommend me?
And of course, you'll really RELY on?

Thank you to all of you who will consider my request.

I wish you all the best!

- Ann

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
Citizen use the same Nemoto/superluminova as Seiko does.

Reactions: SennieG

·
Super Moderator
3,164 Posts
When you mention Luminova, is that a model with tritium tubes for the markers and within the hands? If so, that technology creates its own glow (from the slightly radioactive tritium contained within the sealed glass tubes), whereas most modern luminous materials need to be excited by UV exposure first and then they give off a glow from that energy they recently stored. Perhaps a day in a window sill if it was cloudy wasn’t enough- have you tried holding it up to a bright light bulb for half a minute before bed and seeing how long it lasts afterwards?

·
Registered
412 Posts
These modern lumes are very dependent on amount applied for strength and duration.

Seiko is known for great modern Lume at its price point, or at least former price points, not so much because they had some super awesome special formulation, but because of their very generous use of the material.

·
Super Moderator
3,164 Posts
These modern lumes are very dependent on amount applied for strength and duration.

Seiko is known for great modern Lume at its price point, or at least former price points, not so much because they had some super awesome special formulation, but because of their very generous use of the material.
I’m not sure I follow. Can you name a better quality non-radioactive luminous material in use today?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I’m not sure I follow. Can you name a better quality non-radioactive luminous material in use today?
It’s not that they don’t use high quality.
Others use similar quality.

The AMOUNT of the Lume applied plays a key role in the luminosity.

Seiko typically uses more Lume than some others.

This offers better luminosity.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm late in here, not been browsing lately, but I have to say that the lume on my EcoZilla is really bright all night long.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I agree that it is the thickness of the lume applied that allows the luminosity to have
any kind of duration. I think a watch is a failure if its luminosity can't last through
the entire night. When i'm getting ready for bed, i put the watch i'm wearing that
night ( or, as with last night's watch, testing that night,) under the rays of a good
strong little reading lamp, so the lume is fully activated. 5 minutes ought to be
plenty of time.

Last night's watch was a 1971 Seiko 6139-7012. I suspected the watch was relumed
when i bought it. To my great happiness, i saw that the lume glow survived well
through the night, until the dawn. These are small plots of lume, but thickly applied.
In this case, the plots were subtly tinted to imply age or originality, i'm fine with that,
what i love is knowing what time it is, in that i like to know how many hours i have
already slept, and how far there is to go. It tells me if i should. pee, or eat, or read,
or just roll over and go back to sleep for a bit....i find this to be essential information.

I am not a professional diver, i do love to swim and snorkel and scuba. i think many
divers, traditionally, would activate their lume with a flashlight on their belt, so
duration of lume was not as important as some temporary brightness. I suspect
this may have been Citizen's assumption, but if i were you, Ann, i'd be
very disappointed with the watch's performance, and i'd either have it professionally
relumed, or i'd sell the watch. From what i see, modern formulations of lume
( primarily, superluminova) do not degrade over time on the macro level, the lume is
still good after 30 years or more. And on the micro level of timing, yes, the lume gets
dimmer, but a good application of lume will still have legibility after 8 hours, if given
a good charge.

PM me if you want a reference to the best relumer in the business. He's gotten too
damn busy, i have 5 watches with him now, and i'm waiting too long for them :)

Best Regards,

Peter

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
As said above, the thickness of application is important, as is the background colour, the particle size - which can be blended to reduce dark areas. But the lume itself has different types, some are fast charge, some are designed for lume longevity, and different doping of the material gives different light outputs.
Seiko have used brighter spec lume for diver's watches, over it's non divers, since P-147 was discontinued.
Tokunaga San stated this in his post.
f9e5d7f1b40abfa6cfdcd3b5.jpg

·
Banned
0 Posts
No watch other than the tritium luma is suitable for diving.
End of period.
Seiko has the best LumiBrite in watches, beats Swiss by several lengths, but I will never trust in diving such lighting.
Regular $ 100 Casio G-shock is better than the best Seiko or any other watch without tritium or led lighting.

checkmate on the subject

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
Stay off the bobaloofka.

Reactions: DAHASCO

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
And how does your G-shock cope with 6 bar internal overpressure???

Reactions: brashears9567
1 - 20 of 29 Posts