The Watch Site banner

Loving My Quartz - My Entire Seiko 6M/8M Collection

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  furple 
#1 · (Edited)
Some time ago, someone posted a thread in which he was a bit apologetic for enjoying his quartz Seiko. With the possible exception of my radio controlled watch, ALL of my watches are quartz, even my minute repeaters. In assuring the poster that he was not alone and needs no one's approval to like what he likes, I promised that one day I would show my quartz collection.

There may be those snobbish collectors who would turn up their noses, but I love my Seiko quartz watches, all of which are from the 6M or 8M multi-function series. I think it was in Great Britain and parts of Europe that these were known as "Dancing Hands" watches. When I bought my first back in 1990 here in the U.S., they were advertised as "Intelligent Quartz." Some represent the Age of Discovery Series, though most do not.

If you'd like the dial numbers, just click on the pictures, and they should show up large enough to read.

So, with no further ado, here is my

SEIKO QUARTZ WATCH COLLECTION!

THE 6M CALIBER

3 "Age of Discovery" 6M13's

6M13 "Centuries"

THE 8M CALIBER

2 "Age of Discovery" 8M25's

Hope you enjoyed this tour of my collection! Just realized I have to update my signature to include my latest acquisitions. I have no immediate plans to add any others, but it seems I'm always coming across one I haven't seen before, and that I like enough to add to the stable, so let's leave it at "we'll see..." I'll let ya know!

UPDATE: Added the 6M26-8050! At an even twenty now.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I love the 6M and 8M series watches also though I do not have as many as you. I have a couple in my collection that you have. One of my favorites is the 8M25 "Football/Soccer" watch. They make several other sports themed 6M and 8M watches including the very rare and valuable "fishing" watch. There are several other sports themed versions I would like to acquire. One is a "Sports Timer" that has no specific theme and has characters around the bezel shoring stick characters swimming running and such. I also have the one you have pictured which is the 6M15 with the navy blue dial and gold markers. I love how it counts the 1/10 seconds off by bouncing back and forth between the 12 and 2 positions. So your not alone. I love the old 0903 quarts as well as their brothers in the 4004 series the 4633 and the 4336. I really love the quartz chronographs like the 7T32 7T62 7T34 and the newer 7T92.
I love the old mechanical movements just as much like the older 5216 6106 6309 7002 and 7S26. I just love Seiko and I love rebuilding movements both quartz and mechanical.

Michael

#5 ·
I love the 6M and 8M series watches also though I do not have as many as you. I have a couple in my collection that you have. One of my favorites is the 8M25 "Football/Soccer" watch. They make several other sports themed 6M and 8M watches including the very rare and valuable "fishing" watch. There are several other sports themed versions I would like to acquire. One is a "Sports Timer" that has no specific theme and has characters around the bezel shoring stick characters swimming running and such.
Yes, I've seen most of those. I tend to lean away from the "sports" ones, even though some of them look great. I'm just not a sporty person. The same with the yacht race timers. They look really cool, but the way the timer function works wouldn't really serve any purpose for me.

I also have the one you have pictured which is the 6M15 with the navy blue dial and gold markers. I love how it counts the 1/10 seconds off by bouncing back and forth between the 12 and 2 positions. So your not alone.
Yeah, that's a cool feature of the stopwatch mode on a couple of the different calibers in the 6Ms, though I don't often need to time things to a tenth of a second. Still, it's cool to watch! :wisb:

#14 ·
Yes, the way the hands dance was really one of the reasons I bought my first one. It was just many years before I ever heard them referred to as "dancing hands."

Yeah, the "Centuries" 6M13 is also the same movement as its AoD's conterparts. At least I hope so, or I won't be able to pull off the one switch I want to do, and get an AoD 6M13 movement into the "Centuries" case.

#9 ·
Mr. F- Simply Amazing Collection. Well Done!You have managed to assemble a really beautiful group of Seiko Quartz watches together that leaves me breathless. Absolutely Lovely collection-Wow! And your taste in your Seiko watch choices in my opinion is just the tops.Well done!
And thanks for sharing your collection-absolutely first rate,!MOP!
Eli- 'O -by the way, I love my Seiko Quartz watches as much as my mechanical and auto Seiko's !

#19 ·
Thank you! Actually, if you gather enough of something, you're bound to have a few really impressive ones.

What I like about the 6M and 8M calibers is that every one has appeal, whether through appearance or function. And for me, the advantage to that is that they are all in the rotation, and all get worn from time to time, though some are reserved for less casual occassions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.