The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here she is ...

Seiko Velatura Kinetic Direct Drive SRH001P1
SEIKO Kinetic Direct Drive is an embodiment of the SEIKO's 'emotional technology'. It offers new and valuable benefits to the ecological and convenience advantages of every SEIKO Kinetic watch.
Caliber 5D44
- Powered by the movement of your body
- Can also hand wind for power
- Power reserve store
Metal: Stainless Steel
Size: 44mm
Stainless steel case and bracelet
Crown protection system
Textured 3D effect dial pattern
Day/date window
100m water resistance
Sapphire Crystal Glass with anti-reflective coating
Dial: White
One year International warranty

List Price: $1250
But I got this super deal for only $396 (brand new with Box, Tag, Papers & Warranty card).

It's a big and heavy watch @ 44mm case diameter with 26mm lug size! Very solid feel to it. What I like best is the "tachometer" feature of its power reserve indicator. With a little wave of the arm, you see the pointer rise as it revs up the engine, then settles down to the accumulated power reserve. It just doesn't wind with the motion of your wrist, but you can also wind the crown manually. As the watch is being wound, the indicator in the meter begins to jump up and down the scale signifying the current charge; when it rests down between winds, the indicator climbs the scale and rests at how many hours charged as you wind it. When you stop winding for 4 seconds, the indicator climbs the scale to display total charge accumulated. Very neat feature.
I also like the classy white dial and the big crown/ crownguard ... I am awaiting an order for a brown genuine alligator strap with deployant buckle for it. I think it's really gonna look really sharp!

This watch has the best of both worlds: A hybrid watch indeed utilizing an internal mechanical rotor in conjunction with Kinetic Direct Drive technology to power the Quartz oscillator. Reason why I got this is because I like the interaction between the watch and the user. She needs me as much as I need her: Winding it manually or just letting the power reserve accrue on its own by wearing it 10 hrs./ day. Either way, your interaction is tallied by that red indicator. Involvement is what fulfills the purpose that gives it meaning to the wearer. Not like those regular quartz watches with their batteries that just keeps ticking without any need for interaction. That's just too dull and boring for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is a really nice watch, thanks for the review. You got quite a deal! The power reserve feature is very nice.
If you wear the watch for more than 10h, do you get a full charge?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For 10 hrs., you are just on "maintenance" mode for power reserve cumulative. In other words, it just maintains the cumulative charge already present (because once you stop wearing it, reserve will decrease). Wearing it actively for 10 hrs. could increase it just a little bit. But if you want to increase it further and faster, you will have to wind it manually. The faster you wind, the more charge you can accumulate. As for having a full charge, it is really not necessary if you wear the watch everyday, unless you really want to do it manually which could take you hours of continuous non-stop winding. Remember, a full charge is equivalent to a whole month. It even takes me a few minutes of continuous non-stop winding just trying to reach for a week. Right now, I am about at two weeks on the scale and been wearing the watch everyday, so it just stays there. No big deal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

They got another model of the DD with the moonphase (SRX004P1) which I was really contemplating before I got mine, but it was twice the price! So I just settled for the SRH001P1. I'm still very happy with mine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Congrats on a very sweet deal! :great:

If I've got the budget, I won't mind adding another Velatura to the collection. They're great watches that don't get much mention.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My brown Gator band (with deployant clasp) has arrived!

What do you guys think? Pretty sharp with the White dial, huh!
I Love It !!! :great:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Velatura's are awesome! You have to be lovin" it :dance: It's fun to change the band to bracelet and back from time to time; I do this with my Tissot PRS516 Auto and people (the same people) always come up to me and ask " did you get a new watch?" hehehe; thats kind of fun.

Kent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts