The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.... This is my first inquiry post. I am new in all this world of mechanical watches and trying to find my way. I've had a lot of fun reading and learning's through all your posts.... And finally getting to know some of my first acquisitions.

Speaking of which I am going to dive into the restoration of my 5606 found in a flea market in Taiwan. Pretty happy with the watch, I want to clean it up and put it back to work as best I can.

Have a quick question I have trouble finding information. The hands where badly coloured in bleu.... And want to try to clean them or change them. However I do not know how to buy the new ones. I've found o. The Ranfft website information on the hands but I do not really understand to what it refers (1,50x0,90x0,20) if I get it well it is the diameter of the hole. Is that right? But then I am in China and trying to buy spares .... Can I buy whatever correspond to those numbers? Would them fit?

Thanks in advance for all you help! (Trying to post photos but have problems with the connexion) I'll do.my best ;)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey guys.... This is my first inquiry post. I am new in all this world of mechanical watches and trying to find my way. I've had a lot of fun reading and learning's through all your posts.... And finally getting to know some of my first acquisitions.

Speaking of which I am going to dive into the restoration of my 5606 found in a flea market in Taiwan. Pretty happy with the watch, I want to clean it up and put it back to work as best I can.

Have a quick question I have trouble finding information. The hands where badly coloured in bleu.... And want to try to clean them or change them. However I do not know how to buy the new ones. I've found o. The Ranfft website information on the hands but I do not really understand to what it refers (1,50x0,90x0,20) if I get it well it is the diameter of the hole. Is that right? But then I am in China and trying to buy spares .... Can I buy whatever correspond to those numbers? Would them fit?

Thanks in advance for all you help! (Trying to post photos but have problems with the connexion) I'll do.my best ;)

Finally got to post a couple of photos.... By the way do you guys know a way to clean a little bit the dial? I like it the way it is but I would like to clean it a little bit and maybe reduce the stain.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
By the way do you guys know a way to clean a little bit the dial? I like it the way it is but I would like to clean it a little bit and maybe reduce the stain.

I'd like to get some ideas on dial clean-up myself.

It probably comes down to there being many different types of dial finishes and types of stains and discolorations, and thus many different potential solutions (or impossibilities).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently it was really a newbie question. I just took the time to check the information pages at Ranfft website and it was what I expected : hands measurements correspond to the hole diameter. So I think it is safe to say that if I get to decided the offers I find with those same measurements the hand would fit. Gonna give it a try!

@Seiko Hoarder. Still need to check out the options for cleaning a dial. I think most of the problem is not known how are they made. I am currently checking to buy and old Shanghai A581 and I hesitate for the same reason. What bothered me the most with my Seiko it was the Hands terribly painted .... Already started to cleaning them but it will be probably better to change them. It might take sometime but I'll post some photos of the whole thing when I get to do it!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi, looking at the movement you have some corrosion forming on it so it's a good possibly that one of the seals have failed and let some water/fluid of some kind in and that is what's caused the dial staining.
If you get new hands for the watch, go for original or measure the length of the ones fitted and gets replacements of similar or shorter otherwise you could have problems with hands hitting the hour markers, crystal ect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can always experiment on a cheaper Seiko from eBay that has similar water damage on the dial. I've heard people suggest everything from spit and q-tips and vinegar windex solutions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts