The Watch Site banner

Looking to buy a Seiko- looking for advice

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SennieG 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I’m looking to buy my husband an inexpensive seiko & found this on eBay.

I know it’s a bit scratched but I love the watch.

Its $89

advice is appreciated

RARE,UNIQUE Men's Vintage 1970's AUTOMATIC Watch SEIKO 6106-6007

RARE,UNIQUE Men's Vintage 1970's AUTOMATIC Watch Watch SEIKO 6106-6007

See less See more
#2 ·
well hello and welcome
that is priced very high for what it is...
Gold watches for the most part are not sought after and prices are much lower due to this...
i would think u should be able to find one like this for a 1/3 of the one you have shown
most older watches will need a full service if you expect to wear it every day and for it to keep accurate time
if u want a watch they can wear every day i would suggest looking for more of a modern watch or getting one and paying to have it serviced
God Bless,John

Reactions: huangcjz
#3 ·
Hi and welcome,
I'm no expert, but to me that one looks a bit beaten up. The Seiko on the face is slightly askew, the face looks like it might not be original or is badly faded (might just be a poor picture), the glass is in poor shape, the watch body has some large dings in it, and it has a non-original bracelet fitted - it does not match, as it looks too new, but that is easily fixed. Buying watches on ebay is fraught with danger if you do not know a lot about them, at that price I think it is over priced due to the condition, but ultimately it is up to you.

#6 ·
Hi, and welcome.

If I were you, I'd go for a modern Seiko rather than a vintage one. Vintage seiko has a huge amount of pitfalls, and you really need to know what you are doing. This forum is great for learning about vintage seiko. There are plenty of modern seikos which are affordable. It all depends on what your husband likes, and what job he does. If he is in a physical job, a modern seiko diver would be a good idea; if he is in an office based job, a dress watch would be great. My first ever seikos were a classic SNK809 and a dress SNXS 77, which were my gateway drug into this hobby, and are all very acceptable seikos to get. The new 5KX line is an excellent choice with a huge amount of variety. The other thing to remember is Japanese Domestic Model (JDM) seikos are better quality, and SeiyaJapan (who I have bought from and been impressed by) are a great vendor.

Good luck, and all the best,

Neel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.