The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have I got I hope it works?...

Battery in and yes its running, I got lucky, but its a bit dim....Crown works but pushers are too stiff.

OH no the dreaded corrosion and plenty of gunk!

Into the ultrasonic with you!
Before

After, I'm feeling sick!!!

I'm going to change the water now

And while thats cooking..... Lets look at the movement

Ah the mirror behind the lcd was put in put in incorrectly! The white opaque side was facing the lcd surely it should be the mirror.....That's why it was so dim.

More to follow hopefully.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first Seiko Merrit and that one looks like it has seen some use, nice work there.
Its cleaning up very well John. As you always say 'The DNA and grunge help keep it clean underneath'. Which it has to a certain extent but sadly there seemed a lot that went between the case and glass pusher plate. But I'm really pleased.

Glass is little scratched, but I can live with that

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All went well and back together. New pushers gaskets and case gasket.

Hmmm still seems a bit dim. Its like the yellow is making it look darker than normal.

I'll take another look next week

What do you think? Any ideas

Horrible photo for now!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Bookmarking as I have a couple of dim ones I could do with sorting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Nice! These LCD projects are always the most fun. Unfortunately the screen of mine still isnt too good. Dutchsiberia has done a good job with the screen of mine and made it a bit brighter again. Perhaps he could help you, he knows a lot about fixing LCDs.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I'm not sure if you're game to do this, but I recently replaced a failing module in my 0674. After transferring over my good lcd, the replacement module was very dim and faded out when pressing buttons. I guessed that not enough power was getting into and through the system. There was evidence of some mild corrosion on the module from water ingress.
I mentioned it to my local watch guy - he used to work on a Seiko service centre in the 80s and 90s and sometimes (when they couldn't get a replacement module), they dipped digital modules in "silver dip". It cleaned them up and sometimes sorted them out.
With little to lose, I bought a jar of silver dip from a jewellery store. It's a mild hydrochloric acid solution.
Dipped my module (lcd removed) for two minutes, rinsed thoroughly, dried with a hair dryer, brushed any loose corrosion off and repeated for good measure.
Reassembled and the watch is running strong.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I’ve just been on Amazon (UK) and they have that exact product @tritto so there is now spot on its way to Watford. I’ll try this next week on one of my faded lcd’s. Thanks for the tip. (I remember now you shared this before, I’d forgotten all about it).

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've had it apart again and all looks good but the lcd screen does seems darker than others lcd's. I placed the lcd on some white paper and put the yellow screen on top and it looses that bright yellow colour. The light from the reflecting mirror just can't get through so I can only assume the polarizers have darked. See here for where they are
http://www.newdwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=7825

Question is how do you remove and replace the polarizers?

This will hopefully bring back that lemon look rather than my avocado murky water view!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts