1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finding a beater seiko for my father

Hey mates,

I need your advices on a purchase :

Christmas is coming (Am I the first one to think about it ? My wife keeps showing me handbags, shoes...) and this year I might want to buy a beater seiko for my father.

He is in his mid 60's, the kind of guy doing manual stuffs all the time (car mechanics, firewood cutting, ...). He does not have a watch, and as he doesn't have a cell phone either he has to look inside his old volvo 240's clock to get current time. It's almost as precise as a cheap 1$ chinese watch from the 80's...

It would be good if he could keep it a few years (5 to 10) without any major problems otherwise it will go in the drower.
He would not wear something too fancy so I was thinking about a seiko military (automatic = no battery, cheap and with a green nato strap, he would look nice on him).

As I don't know the whole seiko range, I would love to have your addict :eek: advices.

Cheers !

·
Registered
626 Posts
I Don't think you can go wrong with any of the Seiko 5 line. Durable, accurate, inexpensive and attractive. The military style is easy for older eyes to read, too. You're on the right track.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
The only negative thing I can say about an automatic is that since your father is not accustomed to wearing a watch he may not wear this one often enough to keep it charged. A quartz might suit the situation a bit more. Just a thought.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
The only negative thing I can say about an automatic is that since your father is not accustomed to wearing a watch he may not wear this one often enough to keep it charged. A quartz might suit the situation a bit more. Just a thought.
:iagree:

Do consider a quartz.
Also, not sure if an auto will keep the accuracy great over the months, and will your dad be adjusting the time?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dad setting the time every month is a very good point, I have not think about it before... Nice one.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it seems that the military are (only or mostly?) automatic.
It'll be a tough choice.

It's very nice to have your opinion ;);)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool solar powered watch. I hope the case is resistant though, sometimes citizens produces some cheapo stuff you know...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha. Typically the kinda stuff he would leave in the drower...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is so "citizen"... Usedto have a crazy ana digi temp... Dial full, buttons and functions and displays everywhere. Cool watch by the way

·
Special Member
7,247 Posts
I suggest the Seiko Perpetual Calendar series, with Cal 6A32. Not only quartz so the battery keeps it going, but the date changes with the month so no more 'oops thought today was the 3rd, it's really the 4th forgot last month only had 30 days' routine that turns folks off to the whole 'wearing a watch thing' Can be had on Amazon for $125-$175 in a wide variety of dials and bracelets and cases.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The SBCA001 is very cool looking, I prefer it with a nylo strap (and I guess my father too).

I'm checking the Seiko Perpetual Calendar series also. Did not knew them !

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I suggest the Seiko Perpetual Calendar series, with Cal 6A32. Not only quartz so the battery keeps it going, but the date changes with the month so no more 'oops thought today was the 3rd, it's really the 4th forgot last month only had 30 days' routine that turns folks off to the whole 'wearing a watch thing' Can be had on Amazon for $125-$175 in a wide variety of dials and bracelets and cases.
I was thinking the same thing but 8f32. They can be had pretty cheaply on eBay and take a 10yr lithium battery. Or I got my dad a 7546 railroad approved watch last year. I put a sapphire crystal on it and he's had it on his wrist since. It's super easy to read, I think I paid $30 including the new crystal, and the movement is a workhorse.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would suggest a New Monster, especially the black dialed SRP307 or the orange dialed SRP309.

My reasons:
  1. Not exactly expensive (~ $220 USD);
  2. True, ISO-rated 200m diver;
  3. Powered by the 4R36, which is like an upgraded version of the 7S26/7S36 workhorse movement, with hacking and hand-winding;
  4. Solid stainless steel construction;
  5. Easy time reading;
  6. Thick and slightly raised bezel, which will probably help prevent the crystal from getting scratched when doing manual work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts