The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to scwf looking for info on what I now know, is an SKX399. I was really happy/satisfied with the watch, and figured I'd wear it until it quit running.

Once I read about the watch being somewhat desirable to WIS type people, I quickly returned to the store where I bought it, looking to see if they had another one.

Several hours, later, while on the other side of town running from mall to mall, and every watch store I could find, I still hadn't found another SKX399...

BUT

I did find this watch, that instantly became my new favorite.

Attachments

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Mark Happy new Samurai my friend,Stainless steel model too!!!!Nice catch,they are getting hard to find.
Mine says hello.You need the Ti Version now.Nicer hands and much lighter. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
The titanium model of the samurai, IIRC, was a Japanese domestic market model, while the stainless steel models were international, so you might not find it in the Philipines. One thing though, while I'm all for keeping most pieces original, IMHO the hands on the SS samurai don't do them any favors. Many people have swapped the hands out of the SS Samurai for those of the TI variants, which IMHO drastically improve the watch. Just a thought, if you're interested.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's really hard to find anything other than entry level Seiko watches here in the Philippines. The shops have plenty of quartz models, but it's nearly impossible to find higher quality Seiko automatics.

I did read about a Seiko only dealer in Makati. I'll have to go there, and check it out.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
We have a fairly large number of Pinoy members here on the board. Maybe it's worth starting a thread to bring them out of the woodworks. Often times, when large numbers of members are concentrated in a specific area, they tend to form their own sub-community and really help each other out, either directly or through the use of local resources. That definitely happens with the large collector community in NYC, and I have seen it happen before with philipino members.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to see a Philippines thread here, and would definitely post in it.

But I don't feel like I should be the one to start it, since I'm an American ex-pat.

I'm a member of another watch forum, and they have a Filipino thread there where they type in Tagalog, ect.

It would be great to find out where I might find expert service and genuine parts here in Manila.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Mark.

Jaime here from Manila and 100% PInoy! ^-^

Seiko has followed the worldwide format and adopted boutiques where you can find higher end Seikos. Occasionally they carry the limited ed pieces. In a few stores around the metro there are still limited ed 40 year anniversary ti and SS watches. The multi eye limited ed sportura and the 8L yachting chrono was also made available here.

I spoke to the owners of Seiko here and the problem is that Seiko has been such a "common" watch here for the last 40 years or so that the idea of high end Seikos is still a bit of a boggler for most consumers. You can tell the common-ness of Seiko by rooting around the forum archives and seeing some remarks of disbelief at the number of 6309 divers that are still coming out of the Philippine market.

Most Seikos approaching the 300USD and beyond mark are met with the usual "nice design but would i pay that much for a seiko". Fortunately Seikos marketing and international recog of the Spring drive are solwly but surely changing that.

For Seikos under warranty its always better to go to the service center or the boutiques where they always have a service tech.

But for out of warranty and custom jobs I go to my watchmaker (who does everything from full on restorations of Vacherons to Rolexs to Seikos) in Makati City ( sorry for the non US peeps on the unfamiliar geo locations) in a place called Makati Cinema Square ( which ironically has no more cinemas). Look for Arnesto's Watch Repair on the third floor just by the escalators. The guys name is Andrew. Tell him I referred you. If you have any issues text me on my mobile 0917-5267325. I work right nearby so if you need some moral support ( going to a new watch guy is almost like going to a new doctor..scary sometimes) I might be able to sneak out for a few minutes to drop by.

Let me know if you need more details.

Cheers!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the tips. They are much appreciated.

I went to Glorietta 5-Makati and visited the Seiko store. I saw another ss Samurai, like the one I just bought, and also found a pilot-diver. They had a lot of the new, high end Ananta watches. But, I prefer a diver style, and a lower price tag.

I guess that store is the local service center, so I asked them about ordering the ti Samurai handset from Japan. I'll have to call in a few days to check availability, and get a price.

I have heard of Arnesto's before, but never been there. I'll have to stop in and say hello after I figure out where the "Cinema Square" is.

·
Registered
141 Posts
mark said:
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the tips. They are much appreciated.

I went to Glorietta 5-Makati and visited the Seiko store. I saw another ss Samurai, like the one I just bought, and also found a pilot-diver. They had a lot of the new, high end Ananta watches. But, I prefer a diver style, and a lower price tag.

I guess that store is the local service center, so I asked them about ordering the ti Samurai handset from Japan. I'll have to call in a few days to check availability, and get a price.

I have heard of Arnesto's before, but never been there. I'll have to stop in and say hello after I figure out where the "Cinema Square" is.

hey mark,

any news on the ti samurai?!? i' also quite interested... ;)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Ahhh, the Samurai...

Just some general information on the Seiko Samurai series, although it sounds like mark is picking it all up very quickly.

There are two Stainless Steel models in the "Samurai" family, the white SNM009K and the black SNM011K. I love their "bunker" shaped cases, the textured dial of the white model, and their bezels.

Due to their large size and construction, they are very heavy. If you take the case back off you'll see the 7S35 (date only) movement surrounded by a large ring of solid stainless steel. This is the kind of watch where you joke that if someone tries to rob it from you, you take it off your wrist and beat them to death with it!

But their hands seem a bit too small, too "wimpy" for the rest of the design. Many folks, myself included, have swapped them for the hands from the Titaium versions.

Speaking of the Titanium version, there are three of them; the black SBDA001, the blue SBDA003 and the orange SBDA005.

These feature full Titanium construction including the bracelet and are amazingly light, like 200 grams lighter than the Stainless Steel models.

The overall design is similar, but the Ti versions have crown guards and the dials, hands and bezel are different.

The orange SBDA005 only came on the rubber strap, but it used to be easy to find a spare bracelet, as many of us did.

By the way, I don't believe that you can swap the Ti and SS bezels. When the question comes up I have seen one or two folks say that it does work, but you don't get to see pictures and I have the feeling that it "kinda" works, but the fit is not correct.

Finally, just to be complete, there were some Limited Edition Samurai's, but they were some of the bizarre Thailand limited editions, with odd dial changes and completely different hands. I was never very interested in them, but just to document them, here is a nice group picture I found.

Left to right, they are the SNM019K, SNM017K, SNM015K and SNM021K.

Here is my collection of Seiko Samurai, including some "spares" of the Ti version that I don't wear (yet), along the top row.

Notice the bottom row of SS versions, with the Ti hands and with the first and third (from the left) having their bezels swapped.

I think my favorite is the White SS one with the black Ti hands and black bezel on the lower left.

Click for Big Image

Click for Big Image

- Thomas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts