The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the Rules here....But even when a Link is posted after an Auction there are live links to whatever the seller has up for bidding. So, I really can't see what the difference is. All one has to do is find a finished auction from a seller, Post it and add "Look At the sellers other auctions" Or simply add the item number...Or The exact Title in the auction...I must be wrong again....;)

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
You can add the auction number or the pictures, but not the link.
We could be inundated with sellers who join just to advertise their item and nothing else - not a good option and why the seven day rule applies to the trade forum.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You can add the auction number or the pictures, but not the link.
We could be inundated with sellers who join just to advertise their item and nothing else - not a good option and why the seven day rule applies to the trade forum.
I don't even think posting the auction number should be permitted. That seems like a link to me even if it's not a hyperlink.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
So what do you suggest?
No mention of any auction site, including Yahoo JP, Rakuten, Ebay et al? No mention of any specific item that may give any clue to any auction? How far should this go?
There has to be a sensible medium, and members self censoring, monitoring and helping the mods would seem a sensible plan.

·
Registered
882 Posts
So what do you suggest?
No mention of any auction site, including Yahoo JP, Rakuten, Ebay et al? No mention of any specific item that may give any clue to any auction? How far should this go?
There has to be a sensible medium, and members self censoring, monitoring and helping the mods would seem a sensible plan.
For a start, I would suggest that members wait until auctions are closed before discussing them. :)

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Personally, I find there are other things that are far more annoying here - such as "Heads up" posts.
If I'm watching something on a site (that we won't mention) the last thing I want is somebody advertising it here and letting the whole world know about it - thus pushing the price up and putting it out of reach.
There are better ways of getting brownie points.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
For a start, I would suggest that members wait until auctions are closed before discussing them. :)
If I win an auction for something that i consider a little "special" I never brag about it until it has been delivered to my long suffering "shipping Agent" in the States or to me.

The reason for this is because auctions have been known to finish with someone winning it fair and square(perhaps a great price or something rare etc) only for someone to get in touch with the seller and gazump the original winner, sometimes we could be advertising a good/bargain buy to an unscrupulous buyer and a greedy seller causing the original winner to lose out.

Also has Dave says we could be pushing the price up and causing a member to be priced out the market.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would rather see an interesting item go to a member here than go to some of the profiteering sellers on the bay. I guess that I would apply that more to a buy it now or best offer than an actual auction which I don't suppose many would advertise in any case. Valid points in any case - and John's above shocks me really that people are that underhand.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Perhaps a new rule can be, "You can post pics of your new watch, but cannot say anything about it, because you might just give away the source from which it came.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If I win an auction for something that i consider a little "special" I never brag about it until it has been delivered to my long suffering "shipping Agent" in the States or to me.

The reason for this is because auctions have been known to finish with someone winning it fair and square(perhaps a great price or something rare etc) only for someone to get in touch with the seller and gazump the original winner, sometimes we could be advertising a good/bargain buy to an unscrupulous buyer and a greedy seller causing the original winner to lose out.

Also has Dave says we could be pushing the price up and causing a member to be priced out the market.

Good point. I'm fearing a cool deal I snapped up may have been gazumped.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't have any issue with links to auctions live or dead

And I think the fear of sellers pushing their wears is just that .... Fear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
I don't have any issue with links to auctions live or dead

And I think the fear of sellers pushing their wears is just that .... Fear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The sad thing is it isent just fear, one of our members (Steveo) had it happen to him a couple of times, one was a 6306 i forget the other.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I for one would rather not see links to live auctions here - unless for fake busting or humour. If I've spotted a badly listed item and I'm hoping no one else has seen it, I don't want the whole seiko community told about it - and I'm sure you all feel the same. If people spot something they think might be of interest to a particular fellow member, then they should send them a PM rather than broadcast it.

Just my two cents on the matter.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Some interesting views here. I'm on many forums relating to cars, m/cycles, bicycles and also watches yet its only here and one or two other watch forums where the posting of live links is frowned upon. Its almost as if there's a secret competition going on to find the best watch at the lowest price and if the seller has failed to list it correctly or is unaware of the true value and is willing to accept a lowball offer then that's their fault...

When I see a poorly listed watch/car/bike going cheap then my instinct is to tip off my internet buddies in case they missed it, even though it may piss off the few who were watching it hoping to grab a steal. Maybe I'm being naive here but my view is that its in the spirit of the forum to alert people who may be interested in such a bargain, although if it is something I plan to bid on then obviously I'll keep quiet until someone else outs it...

I'm not interested in bidding on every potential bargain I spot so I see no harm in alerting others if I'm not bidding, and if that drives up the prices a bit then those who get upset can console themselves with the fact that when they decide to sell their watches then there will be more people watching the sale and the final price will reflect this; It works both ways.

And I don't buy the argument that we'll see an influx of new members whoring their auctions in the general discussion forums. After all, any noob can ignore the rules and post on the tp but its not as if the mods spend all day deleting such ads.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Some interesting views here. I'm on many forums relating to cars, m/cycles, bicycles and also watches yet its only here and one or two other watch forums where the posting of live links is frowned upon. Its almost as if there's a secret competition going on to find the best watch at the lowest price and if the seller has failed to list it correctly or is unaware of the true value and is willing to accept a lowball offer then that's their fault...

When I see a poorly listed watch/car/bike going cheap then my instinct is to tip off my internet buddies in case they missed it, even though it may piss off the few who were watching it hoping to grab a steal. Maybe I'm being naive here but my view is that its in the spirit of the forum to alert people who may be interested in such a bargain, although if it is something I plan to bid on then obviously I'll keep quiet until someone else outs it...

I'm not interested in bidding on every potential bargain I spot so I see no harm in alerting others if I'm not bidding, and if that drives up the prices a bit then those who get upset can console themselves with the fact that when they decide to sell their watches then there will be more people watching the sale and the final price will reflect this; It works both ways.

And I don't buy the argument that we'll see an influx of new members whoring their auctions in the general discussion forums. After all, any noob can ignore the rules and post on the tp but its not as if the mods spend all day deleting such ads.
A fair bit of time is wasted doing this every day, I know because I delete such posts on a regular basis :) and ban the occasional poster who has no respect to the rules even after being informed politely to read them :(

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
A fair bit of time is wasted doing this every day, I know because I delete such posts on a regular basis :) and ban the occasional poster who has no respect to the rules even after being informed politely to read them :(
I agree, and if members think that it doesn't happen - they're misinformed (presumption is the mother of all eff ups). Why is it necessary to have a seven day rule on the forum?? -because many people like to abuse the system, as often as possible.
I'm sure I'm not the only member here who has to regularly report shennanigans on the trade forum - the mods do a great job (mostly unseen), made easier with our co-operation.
Opening Pandora's box to an internet full of chancers, is not a good plan.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As somebody who infringed perhaps? And then read the rules recently I think the ones relating to Trading Post and promoting items on TP are clear. The rules on posting links to live auctions may be a little 'open to interpretation' and clearly the fine line between the rules and the concerns people have raised in this topic are more to do with etiquette. I wouldn't suggest any changes other than to raise awareness occasionally. This discussion has certainly done that.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't see any real benefit to posting links to auctions, live or not. If you win it, show it off. An auction link isn't necessary for that.

Sharing in case someone here is interested doesn't seem like it fits the purpose of the forum. It's here to share, discuss, and inform. Other areas are for buying/selling, and are intended for transactions between members. It seems the negatives vastly outnumber the positives.

That being said, on more than one occasion I've sent PM's when I come across something I know a specific member is looking for, helping a friend, rather than publicly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts