The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.. of a FS post?
I mean there's a rule to put a price in the title. I guess it's to save people from waisting their time with (in their perception) over prized parts.
That's great!
But what annoys me is, that I start to read a long FS post just to get in the end, that I cannot buy the watch, because I'm not located in the US.
Wouldn't it be fair to ask sellers to put such a restriction right away in the title?

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
As an antipodean, I understand your frustration. But the length of the title is limited. Even now I find I can't include everything I want. One more requirement would leave even less space for details we might want to highlight.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O.K., that makes sense.
But can't we agree to some abbreviations as for example FS (US)?

But you're right, I was just frustrated.
I should simply not look into the sales forum anymore. ???
But a big thanks to everybody, I have been dealing with through that platform in the past.

Thanks again for your well appreciated answer,

Axel

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I believe we tried but backed off on that because it was virtually impossible to get anyone to abide by the requirement, and as was said above, the space is limited. As it is, it is hard enough to get folks to include the price (with a few repeat offenders complaining about the inconvenience of the requirement). We even have folks who complain about having to include pictures in sales posts, if you can believe that one. We could make it a requirement, but It would probably piss people off and make moderator life much less rewarding.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Axel, you know you should stay off sales forums anyway! :D :D :D It just gets us in trouble!
But, seriously, I agree. The smart sellers are those who abbreviate, as you suggest, and pack as much info into their "title" as possible. Hopefully, the new software will encourage all traders to use FS FSOT WTT WTB and similar shorthand to make the trading post more efficient and useful.
^-^

Axel66 said:
O.K., that makes sense.
But can't we agree to some abbreviations as for example FS (US)?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again, thanks for letting me feel the topic is known.

I highly appreciate the job of all mods (I'm one in a different forum).

I know, I should handle it easy, asking the seller to put it on hold and then asking somebody of you US based folks to help me out with the deal (but if I would be smart, I wouldn't spend my money on watches, would I?).

We're a great community here and I simply do not understand to exclude buyers per se.
If someone has made bad experience with overseas, why not just mentioning "shipping outside US only if references are available".
But on the other hand, why should a seller do, if he's happy with only selling to US based members?
It just sucks, if you see a watch you're after advertised and than you find out, that you're excluded from the potential buyers!

Having said this, I apologize for bringing up this topic again and bothering you with that problem,

Axel

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Agree 100%. That's why I think it's so much easier and "safer" when you know your trading partner via watch forums or get-togethers. And your comments are certainly no bother. ;)

Axel66 said:
Again, thanks for letting me feel the topic is known.

I highly appreciate the job of all mods (I'm one in a different forum).

I know, I should handle it easy, asking the seller to put it on hold and then asking somebody of you US based folks to help me out with the deal (but if I would be smart, I wouldn't spend my money on watches, would I?).

We're a great community here and I simply do not understand to exclude buyers per se.
If someone has made bad experience with overseas, why not just mentioning "shipping outside US only if references are available".
But on the other hand, why should a seller do, if he's happy with only selling to US based members?
It just sucks, if you see a watch you're after advertised and than you find out, that you're excluded from the potential buyers!

Having said this, I apologize for bringing up this topic again and bothering you with that problem,

Axel

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Axel66 said:
I'm with you 110% there, Axel! It's the WORST!!!

I think the mods should ban 'CONUS only' sales posts!!! :p

·
Registered
476 Posts
Ok, since we're on topic about shipping abroad, here's a question. What's the most cost-effective way to ship international packages from the U.S. My quote from USPS shipping a 2-lb package via Priority Mail International with insurance for a $200 item is about $36. Any other cheaper ways? Fellow veterans?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thats a well justified rant Axel, and I totally agree with you.

Whilst I can understand the restriction if the watch is worth many hundreds of dollars (due to customs charges etc if the deal went sour), it annoys me when I see so many sub 100usd items being advertised as Conus only.

The only thing that I can suggest is that you make a mental note of their names, and if they ever try to buy one of your items........................

On a more positive note, if anyone experiences the same restriction from sellers within France (or Europe), I'd be happy to accept the parcel and forward it.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I feel your pain.

I don't understand this CONUS. I don't get that sometimes the seller won't even send to me. I'm in Canada. wtf?

We Canucks are a neighboring country. We share a border. We have free trade agreements. We give you great beer and hockey. Go figure. Doesn't cost that much more to Canada. ??? ???

Missed out on some great deals. But must say, I've had many great US sellers too. I do feel for the guys down under and abroad elsewhere.

My little rant. lol.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Axel66 said:
.. of a FS post?
I mean there's a rule to put a price in the title. I guess it's to save people from waisting their time with (in their perception) over prized parts.
That's great!
But what annoys me is, that I start to read a long FS post just to get in the end, that I cannot buy the watch, because I'm not located in the US.
Wouldn't it be fair to ask sellers to put such a restriction right away in the title?

Cheers,

Axel
axel,

shipping abroad can be a PITA, a big one; so, from now on, i am only going to use parcel pro if i ship abroad. this will raise the cost of shipping to those outside of the US by 2x, but the package will be fully insured. if you mind paying 2 or 3 times the normal shipping cost (i'm pricing out shipping something to the UK and it's going to be approximately $50) so that an item is fully insured AND you don't mind paying VIA WIRE TRANSFER, there's no problem for me to sell to you or anyone else regardless of location.

<* shark >>><

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
This does seem to raise it's head every few months and i can understand the frustrations of some of us but.........as i see it the seller is free to sell were ever he likes, full stop!!

For some reason in the main it is only sellers in the States who seem to limit there sales to there own country, but it is the sellers choice.

It is more of a pain in the backside to ship out country even for us in the UK or any were else in the world i should imagine but as they say no pain no gain !!!

Also i think there are two main areas that need to be considered first "TRUST" being able to trust the buyer and seller in any deal, second is price, very seldom are my buys over $100 so if they were to go astray or be taken by aliens etc i wouldent go out and top myself, i would be pissed but get over it, now if it was for something like a MM from some one i dident know then i would more than likly worry myself into a early grave before i received it !!

Price and trust and value major parts in any transaction i think for sure.

I have received many packages from the states ( don't you just love a package :) )and some from sellers who state CONUS only and never a problem, never hurts to ask.

So yes frustrating but hey when was life ever easy ??? ;)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hi Axel,
I don't sell often, but when I do it's usually a bunch of things in a 2 week span for a grail run. Anyway, I put conus only to scare away theives. Lately i've been trying to put Conus only-Unless I know you. I know it's so wrong to be suspicious of other buyers in different countries, but there are a tremendous amount of predators online and the risk increases 10 fold when any of us sell to another country. I just sold a watch to a buyer in Hong Kong earlier this week. The shipping cost was 30 dollars with insurance for the full 400 dollar asking price. Anyway, I have 2 points to make. One I think if an out of the country buyer requests to purchase any of my stuff I say yes right away if I know the buyer or his name is familiar OR he provides a list of references and all the names who vouch for him are people i'm familiar with. The second point was the shipping costs are more than normal, so I suspect some buyers fear the process of telling their buyers how much to re-paypal for shipping. Actually one last point- I work for a European company. Forgive me my fellow americans, but statistically most americans have never left the USA. This is where the CONUS only problem REALLY comes from. The rest of the world travels throughout other countries quite often and americans stay in the US. Most don't have passports! Therefore shipping a watch off to Brussells is a scary thing. I'm going to get clobbered for this post, but i'm trying to help. I would sell to you. :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for your words.
I cooled down a bit, and I will try to not ignore the Conus only offers, but ask the seller, if he is willing to deal with me.

Sorry again, but I had to release it! ;)

Axel

·
Registered
547 Posts
Axel, I'd like to be able to sell to anyone, anywhere in the world. The USPS makes this nearly impossible, though.

On a recent transaction for a $210 watch, my prospective buyer wanted me to ship to him in the UK with tracking and insurance for the same price I had listed the watch for in my sales post. In the post, I stipulated "paypal fees borne by me, and shipping to US addresses only".

Because I recognized the buyer from the forums, I went to great lengths to accommodate him. We exchanged approximately 25 private messages, trying to work out an arrangement that satisfied him as to the security of the shipment, while at the same time not raping me with regard to the shipping fees. The biggest part of the problem was that when I enquired at my PO about how to go about shipping to the UK, I got varied answers, depending on which clerk I asked. The USPS pricing structure for international shipments seems to be about as indecipherable as the US tax code.

Ultimately, I ended up sending the watch in a flat rate international box, via registered mail, with return receipt. This, I was told, was the most secure method, and I would receive notice when the watch reached its destination. But I was never able to get shipping in a manner that provided tracking and insurance for the full amount of the purchase price for my buyer.

The entire process cost me the PayPal fees, plus $27 in shipping charges from the USPS. I was able to recover some of the additional fees from my buyer, but because I kept getting quoted different prices from different clerks (it required two trips to the PO to sort it all out), ultimately, I didn't get paid for all the shipping.

The entire experience was nightmarish. I'd rather avoid it in the future. I suppose I'll agree to ship internationally, but without tracking or insurance, and with the entire risk of the shipment assumed by the buyer. For now, because of the limitations of the USPS, I see no other option.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Jan-10 said:
Therefore shipping a watch off to Brussells is a scary thing.
Yeah! those Belgians ... I would be scared shipping a watch to Brussells and I LIVE in Europe!!

:))

·
Registered
256 Posts
I can't resist chiming in on this again, since this thread could very well have been started because of me.

I'm quoting a post of mine from about a month ago below. I'll add that I have made exceptions to my "USA Only" rule for folks in Canada when asked. Just depends on the situation (it never hurts to ask a seller for an exception!).

My main concerns regarding shipping:
1) convenience
2) cost
3) reliability (can I sleep good at night after shipping?)

These concerns lead me to keep the majority of my sales within the USA. Though I definitely wish I could be more accommodating to my international WIS brothers.

stumpbass said:
I sell to the USA only (most of the time) and the reasons are simple: I can ship with tracking for a very low cost in the USA, and I can do it all from my desk without needing a trip to the post office. Some days I just can't fit the post office into my day's schedule. I'm trying to keep things swift for the buyer by shipping promptly, because this is what I hope they do for me when I'm the buyer.

There is also an issue of perceived reliability. I say perceived, because our postal service is probably just as reliable as those in most countries. However, I do feel more confidence when shipping domestically because I know the item isn't leaving our borders or changing hands from one postal service to another.

Please understand that I don't personally take this restrictive determination lightly. Sellers who only ship to USA or North America are intentionally reducing their potential market tremendously! :eek: As with anytime a market shrinks, this has the effect of driving down the final sale price, and could significantly lengthen the time it takes to sell the item. So it's a big deal, and one that I wrestle with personally. I HATE having to say "no" to someone who wants to buy from another country. But at the end of the day, in an attempt to reduce my potential for headaches and/or financial loss, AND to best guarantee quick, reliable service for my buyers, that's what I feel I have to do.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ha ha LOL I had to choose a city and Brussells is the first one that came to mind Ha ha. :)
Harry said:
Yeah! those Belgians ... I would be scared shipping a watch to Brussells and I LIVE in Europe!!

:))

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Axel66 said:
Thanks all for your words.
I cooled down a bit, and I will try to not ignore the Conus only offers, but ask the seller, if he is willing to deal with me.

Sorry again, but I had to release it! ;)

Axel
It never hurts to ask, especially on something you want. Making an initial offer to cover the additional cost of shipping helps to sweeten the deal. As you've figured out by now, sending a package outside the US boarder with tracking numbers adds a lot to the cost and you can't expect a seller to absorb that.

Generally I find selling watches on forums to be an unpleasant event. Selling to recognizable names on the forums is always much more enjoyable.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts