The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm sure many of you were following the auction on our favorite site for the 6159-7001 that just ended as a non-sale. It had a start price of $5800 and that seemed too rich for anyone's blood. Here are some interesting things...the last couple on the bay from a couple months back cleared $4k or came close and were in much rougher shape. One wasn't working in fact. This one had a service and supposedly used NOS parts where needed.

So, in a sense, like when buying an old car (especially Italian or British ), the adage says to shell out more and buy the best one possible as buying something wanting can cost loads in time and money.

So, was this one flawed, simply too expensive or perhaps dismissed because of location and concerns about customs?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
I didn't see it, do you have a link now it's closed? With a start price of $5,800 it's just to expensive, if you're selling you'd like it to end there but you'd be a muppet to start from that figure.

Here's a gratuitous shot of mine.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I saw that auction as well. Honestly, if I was in a line of work that I had that kind of disposable income, I might have considered it, for the reason you state: the watch was in near NOS condition. Whether that was due to a service with judicious use of NOS parts or whatever, but that was one of the finest examples I've ever seen.

Now, if I had shelled out that much, I'm unlikely to have worn it anywhere but in my house, on soft carpeted floors, and likely on my soft, forgiving couch. Not because of the $$ amount alone (I wouldn't blink twice about wearing a similarly expensive Rolex out and about), but due to the difference in numbers of these out there in this condition. I bet there's a very small population of excellent quality 6159-7001's, and I'd be horrified to damage one, even if I'd paid my own hard earned money to buy it. As such, I'd probably only buy one as an investment, which I've always thought was a silly reason to buy a watch, but these seem headed in that direction.

·
Special Member
1,812 Posts
I rather go the route of buying one that might need NOS parts and buying them myself and installing. I might end up paying more, but at least I know what was done and KNOW the history of the watch AND the parts.

the seller of that watch "says" the parts are nos, but are they really? or are they really Seiko nos parts?

as an opposite to 3pedals, you can be sure if I pay $5k+ for a watch, I'm going to damn well wear the sucker no matter what I'm doing. I don't care if that includes working on my car or doing home remodeling. I buy to enjoy, not think about having it in the bank. =) I tell my two sons the same thing, if you work hard and buy something expensive, ENJOY the crap out of it!

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
as an opposite to 3pedals, you can be sure if I pay $5k+ for a watch, I'm going to damn well wear the sucker no matter what I'm doing. I don't care if that includes working on my car or doing home remodeling. I buy to enjoy, not think about having it in the bank. =) I tell my two sons the same thing, if you work hard and buy something expensive, ENJOY the crap out of it!
<* shark >>><
It's funny, that is usually, totally, proudly, my mode as well (certainly applies to all my other old expensive Seikos). I have a vintage MG TD that we drive like any old car. Take it to Lowes/Home Depot, pick up 2x4's and have them hang out the back, the whole deal. But at the end of the day, if I wreck that thing, i know there's a bunch more out there (15K or so) I can replace it with. Something about the danger of "taking it out of existence for everyone" thing gives me the willies re: such a difficult to find (in that condition) watch. Probably a personal defect. ;)

Maybe I'll get over it when to the point where I can more easily afford one! :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I saw the listing and I was watching the auction.... more out of curiosity. The watch itself looked spectacular, but I really thought starting the auction at 5800.00 was simply too rich. I saw another one a few months back that didn't get any action either.

Interesting

·
Registered
393 Posts
I didn't see it, do you have a link now it's closed? With a start price of $5,800 it's just to expensive, if you're selling you'd like it to end there but you'd be a muppet to start from that figure.

Here's a gratuitous shot of mine.

Awesome example my friend. Love this reference

1 - 9 of 9 Posts