The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any interesting stories concerning this diver would be great esp something along the lines of..."i got this back in the 70's..." lately i haven't been able to wear anything else

·
Administrator
30,094 Posts
Perhaps not interesting as such but............my 6105 is named "Dirty Harry" after the inscription on the case back, "Dirty Harry, The Sweet One", i received this from a good friend in the states and over time have titivated and improved him to the point he is at now, i have a reasonable collection but i have wore harry now 99% of the time for the last year or more just so comfy and pleasent to wear and has become a very special watch to me and thanks to Harry i have made a couple of really good friends, i wouldent trade him for a MM (I would cry as i said no trade though !! ha ha).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just joined the Forum and this is my first post; Sooo here goes; I bought my 6105-8000 Proof dial and Proof case back and lock crown in Thailand in Jan 1970 while on R&R from Vietnam. I gave it to my Grandfather and my mom had to show him that he had to move his wrist to wind it. He passed on and it wound up back to me in the late 70's. It has been on my wrist and in the water ever since. It has been to the Seiko Center in Honolulu, and the Seiko Service Center in Kuala Lumpur in 92. None of them had a crystal, crown or bezel. Was on my wrist during the return of Hong Kong in 97 while I was working there [warts and all] It began fogging up in the late 90's.
I took it to a good watch shop in Honolulu and it was cleaned and reassembled. Fogged up again and back to the shop and my education began. I was told that the crown was not serviceable and a new crown and tube was required..ok and after that it still fogged up and the installed tube fell out. Replacement crystal cracked and replaced. I noticed that my original proof dial was now a resist. Bridge? was now a 6309. It is now in the hands of Jack at IWW. [I am learning]. Prognosis is not good.
Jack recomends a replacement mid-case and crown. I have been looking but we all know these are not easy to come by. Jack asked "unless this has some sentimental value I would....." So that is my 6105 story. At 61 years young I am learning. Education on these watches is daunting. The knowledge I have gained here from all of you folks is incredible. I Thank You All!
Brgds
Rene

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
I bought this off the wrist of a hospital attendant while my wife was recovering from surgery. No kidding. :D

·
Administrator
30,094 Posts
JohnN said:
I bought this off the wrist of a hospital attendant while my wife was recovering from surgery. No kidding. :D
I hope you dident mention to your wife John were your thoughts were while she was in recovery !! If i had told my wife i was buying a watch why she was recovering I think i would now be speaking with a very squeaky voice :)) :))

·
Registered
589 Posts
Since I first started collecting vintage seiko divers the 6105 has been the ONE for me.. I remember my very 1st 6105-8000 it was perfect..the seller even said it was 'minty'..only when I started to learn and research the watch did I find that I paid a fortune for a mostly aftermarket 6105.. Being a purist this didn't sit well with me... so my journey began. I really thought I was twisted in my search for perfection until I met another twisted 6105 individual (Hi Russell) Over the years I have manage to build up my collection to include all 4 variants..6105-800X proof/proof & resist/resist and 6105-811X proof/proof & resist/resist. As well as sourcing NOS waffle straps for all these watches, I was lucky enough to find some NOS bezels for the 8110 case divers..(very very lucky!!) Recently my latest project and dream watch was finished..a 6105-8000 with manual wind conversion (still has auto wind but turning the crown also winds up the 6105B movement, thanks Pete!!).. I really thought this watch would end my need for 6105's..but I guess the handful that Jack is working on prooves it never ends!! I can only hope that Russell gets his camera sorted out and starts posting pic's of his 6105's...now there's an awesome thought..Clayton

A pic I took this morning..

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
"BeBe Tell Mommy what is more beautiful than Beautiful?? Gorgeous? Yea from "Kill Bill#2 Clayton your watches a re Gorgeous The time is growing closer For Stories and Pics ;)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Picked this up at a watch fair,

Not to shabby after a new (sapphire) crystal was installed,

Sadly no 6105 in the collection at the moment.

/Stefan

·
Registered
187 Posts
TheTigerUK said:
WoW Noah you sure know how to tell a story, had me gripping on the edge of my seat there !!! :))
:D

I had one, sold none, so I've still got one ;D .

As penance for the above, I've just taken a quick wrist shot of my 6105-8110, I should have wiped it over first :-[ . After being fettled by the Tiger, it now runs to within 5 secs a day :-\ .

·
Registered
994 Posts
I found a 6105 a couple of years ago on Craigslist in Sacramento Ca.
Here is the sellers pic:

When I called and asked for numbers on the back I almost fell out of my chair.
This is what I bought;

I was very happy with my purchase. Wanting to share the joy I quickly posted about it on the old site. Within an hour I started receiving emails calling me everything from a liar to a crook. I was even told I would burn in hell for how little I paid for the watch. I have since sold the watch and I regret it every day. I have learned not to post the amount I paid for a watch.
Here is the watch as I wore it with only a crystal replacement;

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I found this Seiko 6105 case in the condition below which shows a missing case tube but it had the chapter ring and crystal gasket. ]#
Now I'm on a budget and love the 6105 looks and as I'm not intending to swim with it the case tube issue is not a problem for me.

Now out with the budget spares....

A flat crystal from a 6309 diver did fit but the second hand fouled on the glass so I needed a domed crystal. I was recommended Jonathan (JMK500 on the bay) in the US. The crystal retaining ring was a spare 6309. Out came a 6309 movement from a 6309-7040 with an after market 6105 dial. The movement spacer is again from a 6309.

Now I prefer the larger 6309 hands so they had to stay and love the 6105 second hand.

Luck would have it that the a stem and crown I had were not original (it had a dress stem instead). I ground the head off the crown and cut the dress stem to length. It fits quite well and date and time can be changed easily.

No correct bezel with for this watch so this one from 6309 and has to do until I find an original one (in my dreams). It works very well.

The case back is again from a 6309-729A which fits well.

I put some micro gaskets from cousins on the stem to offer some sort of seal between crown and case.

No fogging yet and no ingress of water and its been on the wrist 90% of the time in the last 6 months.
I have fitted the little seiko logo to the dial since the photo below and have also change the date wheel to a black one.

Watch sits well on the wrist for such a big case.

Work in progress below

Thanks

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Believe it or not, Tiger, she loves to tell that story to friends!

TheTigerUK said:
I hope you dident mention to your wife John were your thoughts were while she was in recovery !! If i had told my wife i was buying a watch why she was recovering I think i would now be speaking with a very squeaky voice :)) :))

·
Registered
688 Posts
I didn't own a 6105 until five years ago, but I have a couple of small stories. Buying my initial example was the first time I had a reason to meet a forumer face to face (Chris Kim, for you old-timers). I sold it only because I was wearing my 6309 all the time (dumb, I know...). My second example was bought by a Marine in Japan while on leave from deployment in the last months of the Vietnam War (the ground war, anyway -- it was bought in '73). Years later (he worked at Twentynine Palms, IIRC) he got some water inside it and it sat. I bought it as a parts watch but then decided to have it serviced. It's the one I have now, all work done by Ken Setser, running at an incredible +1/week when I timed it last month. The dial was from another parts watch, relumed in recent years, but not very well. I was on the fence about keeping this one since the dial was replaced due to water damage, and therefore not original to the watch (it is an original Seiko dial), but I've worn it awhile now with the wabi, and grown attached. I will probably send it back to Ken soon for a dial cleanup and relume (he cleans out the indices, underpaints with white, then two coats of lume over that. Whoever did this one simply put some lume in the indices over the old moldy lume with no clean-out.)

Hard not to like the 6105. It's the biggest watch I've owned that's really comfortable on my wrist.

Paul

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Bargain shopping (esp. if you're willing to go to the estate sales and check Craig's List regularly) can be the most enjoyable way to pick up a vintage watch. Unless you bought a dead soldier's Rolex milsub from his destitute widow for $50, you're fine. Unfortunately a lot of armchair quarterbacks like to use the anonymity of the internet for their bitter little screeds. I hope you find another one for an equally good price!

Paul

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
RallyDiver said:
Here is the sellers pic:

[/quote]

i'd have told all of the JEALOUS people who gave you the biz to take a long leap off of a short pier. believe me, if i found a box of 6105s in a garage sale for $10, i'd buy in a heart beat and would have zero trouble sleeping. =) i'd probably send a couple to chris moy in nyc for being a gracious host for the impromptu GTGs whenever i am in town as well.

now if i could only find some rally divers........

<* shark >>><

·
Administrator
30,094 Posts
RallyDiver said:
Here is the sellers pic:

When I called and asked for numbers on the back I almost fell out of my chair.
This is what I bought;

I was very happy with my purchase. Wanting to share the joy I quickly posted about it on the old site. Within an hour I started receiving emails calling me everything from a liar to a crook. I was even told I would burn in hell for how little I paid for the watch. I have since sold the watch and I regret it every day. I have learned not to post the amount I paid for a watch.
Here is the watch as I wore it with only a crystal replacement;

[/quote]

I think the "hunt" is often the most enjoyable part of our hobby, I love the frustrations and then the pleasure of finding a part or a watch, it can drive you mad but so enjoyable when something turns up.

I think if i had the $$$ just to order what ever it was i wanted and it turned up the next day the pleasure would soon diminish.

May the hunt long continue successful or not :) :)

ps: I have often thought of your find and the pleasure it must of given you, that others get envious i can understand (I do) but jealous never, long may we make finds like yours !!!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
After reading my own post I see that I really need to let go and move on. Thanks for the kind words. I will find another one at reasonable price. :) :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts