The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
30,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read the best diver thread and seeing Marty's comment re the 6309-704X (edit: ooops its a 6306 Marty has just told me) it made me think, many of us like the same models but there is often just that little or big something that stops it from imo being great/perfection.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/145514-best-seiko-diver.html

So lets analyse the 6309-704X Diver from Seiko for a start.

These are just my thoughts so please add yours.

Pros.

• It's a Seiko :)
  • 1000s, millions of them ?
  • Cheap.
  • Big solid chunk of stainless.
  • Screw down crown.
  • Easy to read dial.
  • Easy to work on movement and reliable.
  • Screw on case back.
  • Nice bezel.
  • Wears well, almost perfect.
Cons

• Crystal retaining ring should have been screw down.
  • Should have been able to replace case/crown tube.
  • Even though the 6309 was a throw away movement imo it would have been great with a couple of extra jewels (barrel top and bottom at least) and a micro adjustment regulator :)
  • Drilled lugs as standard.
I think for a "cheap" mass produced diver they got it pretty right and imo it was made when producers still tried to make quality and not cheap throw away stuff :)

HongKong dial, not my favourite but a decent example :)

·
2,237 Posts
The replaceable crown tube is very valid. I wish all screw crown models had them!

I'd also add that they could have fitted a one way rotating bezel too. That would have been a nice touch.

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
well i bet the designers never thought there would be such a following of this iconic watch...that would have been great that the things we have found it needed that they did too...those small changes would have saved countless watches .....i so love my 6309 and wear it most often
if they would have just added the crystal retaining ring like the 7c43's and had a screw in replaceable case tube ...with the iconic 6306a movement...i bet costs would have been minimal and just think how many more that they could have sold to people...

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm in agreement with the screw down crystal retainer, ease of removing, security and water resist properties. Maybe the price or production method/time put Seiko off.
Never had a problem with a crown tube, it's the crown threads that go, I find.
Still my favourite watch of the lot though, heavyish and comfortable.
Regards, David

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
well i bet the designers never thought there would be such a following of this iconic watch...that would have been great that the things we have found it needed that they did too...those small changes would have saved countless watches .....i so love my 6309 and wear it most often
if they would have just added the crystal retaining ring like the 7c43's and had a screw in replaceable case tube ...with the iconic 6306a movement...i bet costs would have been minimal and just think how many more that they could have sold to people...
I agree that additional manufacturing cost likely wouldn't have been affected too heavily, but I don't think these changes would've resulted in additional sales. The advantages would come into play with maintenance and now for reserecting watches by us WIS.

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
I am not technical enough to contribute much to this discussion...

I have several 6309's (about 10 actually) and there is not much to fault about them, But I also have some 6306's which to me is a 'better 6309'. I like the hacking capability and I find the timekeeping is better.

So I guess the best way the 6309 could have been improved is for them all to have been 6306's.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My only criticism is the printed dial - it looks a bit cheap. The design is a little odd too. I would prefer metal or raised edge indices like the earlier divers or some tunas.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
THE watch in my opinion...as is. The options you guys mention would be nice, but as usual, if I had to pick just one watch to have on my wrist forever...that's the one!

Rob

·
Registered
179 Posts
Great looking and fitting watch, but a big pro to add would be the vast amount of parts available to maintain and customize them. This was not even a wet dream of Seiko when designing and manufacturing the timepiece but rather a tribute to their job well done.

·
Registered
26,015 Posts
Well, The bezel should have a "Key" to line up with the insert (So it positively lines up with the dial markers/click ball)...Like the dial has for the chapter ring. IMO The case tube should be "One" with the case to avoid a seam of any sort. The Crown threads should be like an insert on the case tube...Removable and easily replaced. Now I'll have a Coffee ;) Edited: Then Seiko would have the Doublok System, With a gasket on the thread seat and the crown. Oh Yeah...The clickball system is Way overthought, Crap gets under the ball and rots the spring, The Stamped indent from the factory that holds the ball has never been repeated in a fix/repair. Not that I am aware of ???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts