The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all.

I recently picked up a nice brown bullhead sold as non-running and with the seconds hand dislodged.

I removed the loose hand and it sprung into life. Sweet. Dropped it into my watch guy to put the hand back on with a view to getting it properly serviced later. He had plenty of trouble trying to get it to reset to zero and I elected to take it as is so I could wear it a little over Christmas.

Anyway, the next morning (Christmas Eve) the hand fell off again. I called in to see him and asked it it was more likely to be the hand that was the problem or the pinion on which it sits. He thought the hand and I thought great, I have a spare hand of the same colour at home from a parts 6139 6012. I'll bring it in in the new year.

I left the watch with him over the Christmas break but now I'm wondering if I have the right second hand to fit. I notice that a couple of my other 6138s have longer seconds hands than the spare 6139 hand I have.

Anyone have any idea about the bullhead hand? Is it the same longer hand that you find on the 6138 0030 and 6138 8020, or the shorter one I'm seeing on my 6139 6005 and 6139 6012? I'd assume that the difference was between the 6139s and 6138s, except my 6139 7080 also seems to have the slightly longer hand.

All comparisons are with regards to watches in my possession, so I guess there is a small change I've already got incorrect seconds hands on some watches. The difference in length seems to be about 1.5mm, but that's taken from the outside of the glass and rather subjective.

Until now I assumed they were all the same length and interchangeable.

I'll be putting up a WTB if you have a bullhead seconds hand you can spare, but I'd like to be able to be definitive about the length of the hand I need first.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems I have found the answer. There is an ebay seller offering 'long' seconds hands for the bullhead. They're 17mm long. Anyone ever used one of the aftermarket offerings from watches-gallery out of Ontario, Canada? He's only got yellow hands listed in the 17mm, but I've asked about a red example.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi.. Don't know the exact lenght but it has to reach the 1/5 second scale between two second markers. Besides, except yours is a Speedtimer Bull, all others, brown or black, use a yellow second hand. Regards.
Luis.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Not sure about the am hands.... I can't imagine its going to be great but it will be better than nothing of course!
Yes the 6139 hand will be too short.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The AM hands are definitely a last resort. I'm almost curious to get one to see what it looks like - except the seller has confirmed he only has yellow examples in the 17mm, and I'm hoping I can get a correct red one.

I've had a tickle from my WTB from someone who may be able to source a NOS example, so I'll hold out before trying the AM ones. Like most of us, I much prefer to stick with the real thing if I can.

I've been eyeing off the bullheads for a long time and I've finally found a good one at a good price that allows me to try it out without breaking the bank. I only wore it for an hour or two and I'm not sure if I will get used to that massively high 12 o'clock side. Definitely a summer watch to wear with short sleeves as it'll never go under my shirt cuffs.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeed.

From measuring my examples the following have a 17mm hand:
6138 8020
6138 8030
6138 0030
6138 0040
6139 7080

And the following have a 15mm hand:
6139 600x
6139 6012

Of course, there are many other models, but these are the ones in my possession.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts