The Watch Site banner

Leather strap or metal bracelet ?

4K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Dirtyape 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Someone wrote that they hate leather straps because they are so uncomfortable and only wear metal bracelets. I was surprised because I always thought it was the other way around. Let me explain. With a leather strap one can easily lengthen it or shorten it during the day as necessary. With a metal bracelet the length is fixed . To lengthen it or shorten it one needs to add or remove links. Your not going to add or remove links constantly throughout the day to make it comfortable but a leather strap you just place it in another hole as needed.

I like the look and feel of a metal bracelet more than a leather strap but unless you can get the right size with a metal bracelet, leather strap will beat it in comfort. What do others think about this ?

I own both types. I was lucky with the metal bracelet watch because the watch is a bit smaller and the bracelet fit just right at the length that it was .

#5 ·
Generally, bracelets are good in the summer, when the hand is sweating, it's easier for hygiene (they also have micro-regulation).
Another thing is that there are watches that a leather strap or .... bracelet does not match;)

Yes, this is the reason that it is generally recommended to replace leather straps every two years, for hygenic purposes. Also, I have a watch with a leather strap and I am now on my third strap with it, during only two years of wearing it. What happens is that the little loop, that you place the strap in, comes apart with wear. This last time now I did not buy the original strap and for half the price I feel that I got a much better strap than the original one. The original one stained my wrist black but my new strap is water proof and should avoid this issue.

#10 ·
If you plan to swim with your watch, a leather strap is a definite no-no.

Reactions: jringo8769
#12 ·
I have both leather straps and metal straps. Leather straps and metal straps are not good or bad. It depends entirely on personal preference and their respective styles. The metal watchband feels tough, majestic, and very masculine. The leather watch feels elegant and restrained, which is more suitable for people with gentle personality.
This is my leather strap and metal strap.

#14 ·
Go Vegan and don't buy leather.
There are better alternatives to wearing part of a dead animal on your body ;-(

I prefer bracelets but after years of experimentation I have this worked out - bracelet watch in the Winter and silicon / sailcloth / Kevlar in the Summer - the reasoning being long shirt sleeves slide over bracelets easier than they do over straps.

#15 ·
Leather is produced as a product of meat production. Not wearing leather doesn't stop it being produced it just forces it to be wasted.

Also mining for iron, producing carbon for the steel, heating the furnaces, powering the machines to make them - there is hugely more embodied carbon in a bracelet production than in a leather strap, as well as far greater use of likely underpaid labour and pollution generates. Many many times more.

Therefore the more responsible choice from an environmental, welfare and social perspective, is the leather strap.

Actually it's not buying a watch. It's not buying anything. It's not procreating. It's not being born. Look at anything like this closely enough and it leads to Nihilism.

#24 ·
Neither. Modified NATO used. When they get dirty, just wash, dry, and reuse.

#27 ·
well i also an not a huge leather or animal hyde watch band person
but i also see the usefulness and elegance of other options over metal bands
but metal bracelets are my preference on all of my watches
and i do agree that we as a world are wasteful of certain things and using animal hydes for bands has two strong sides
but one thing we all must realize
sadly people will continue to eat animals and if those hydes are not used they will be discarded and wasted
with my health continues to decline
i can no longer many items including most meat other than fish
if i do it will make me very ill and can wind up hospitalized from it
one thing i can say is this
whatever you buy
BUY QUALITY so you do not have to buy it many times over
that will help everyone in the end with waste and always be responsible too
support our vendors on here and other members who sell these great products too
buying low price items from counties who do not care about our world will only hurt it in the end
stay safe out there
God Bless,John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.