The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about using a belt sander for case refurbishment for a while. Today I got round to a proof of concept lashup rig to try out with a knackered 6139-7100 case.

Turned out better than expected, must pop down to Screwfix in the morning and buy some 120 grit belts as 80 grit is too course.

The experiment is part of my latest creation, a black 6139-7100 the hard way...as usual. Keep you posted on final results

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
nice one Mike - simple and effective, looking forward to seeing the final results.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
wow...love the innovation...great finish too...

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hope you still have some skin on your fingers after that. :grin:
No probs:biggrin:

I tried the 120 grit and its a lot better. To my chagrin the refurbished case looks better than my used original, I was going to use it a a beater but now its too good. I refinished the top of the caselugs by hand and it looks acceptable.

·
Registered
461 Posts
A man after my own heart, i cant personally afford all the bergeon bits etc so i have to make do with anything i can find, i now will be employing an old belt sander to refurbish the odd case or two.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love my 4inch belt sander, one of the best tools ever made IMO
I have to agree with you Jim, I had to strip and stain three mahogany garden bench seats last summer, i love my belt sander, it would have been a ******* of a job to do by hand:biggrin:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice result.
I have been having similar thoughts. I tried a belt sander but could not get enough control so then I tried a finger sander (which is much smaller) and mine had a really slow speed so should be easier to control. However, even with 420 grit paper I found I was grinding away the shape of the case.
I would be interested in knowing how you managed the case alignment to the belt. I was always getting this wrong and so creating a new plane.
Chris

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
Great work Mike. I've been considering a disc/belt sander for some time but haven't thought of using the hand held belt sander I already have. I'll have to give it a try.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You need to use the finest grit paper you can get hold of, I have not been able to try but I think 800 would be good and be gentle because the belt sander really is efficient at removing metal:93:

The black dial ring for the 7100 resto arrived this morning from Anthony Plaza so I should be able to show the finished results soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts