The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I might have a go at a small diver with the idea of giving it to my sis as a birthday present if all goes well. They are not too expensive and don't seem to be so popular. I now think I know why, the things are tiny. I quite fancied the idea of a manual/auto wind for myself so after a trawl through Ramon's treasures I ordered a couple of ladies (watches:smiley:) and a couple of the mid-size 4205's so that I might have some spare parts if needed.
I have taken a few pictures as I went along. They aren't the best so apologies for that.

ladies4205-1.jpg

ladies4205-2.jpg

ladies4205-3.jpg

ladies4205-4.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the parts cleaned and ready for reassembly.

ladies4205-13.jpg

The sewing needle came in handy for jiggling pivots into position. Very fiddly.

ladies4205-16.jpg

All going well until now. The watch runs and the date and time can be re-set but if I advance the movement through 24 hours the date will not change.

ladies4205-17.jpg

It looks as if the date finger is worn and is not engaging with the dial. I pinched another from one of the other watches and it does not work either. Stupidly I did not try it before I took it out:mad:. I have tried the two remaining watches and they both change the date ok after 12.00pm. So either I have got something wrong here or I am just unlucky and used another worn part. I am just trying to decide what to do now. I could strip another watch down I suppose and try another date finger. Just thought I might hang fire in case someone might notice something I have done wrong.

ladies4205-18.jpg

·
Registered
6,712 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello John
It's a 4205b. I have the tech sheet as well thanks. Between that and my own pics I am almost sure that the finger is fitted correctly but is worn. Looks like it only just engages at the best of times. Stefan, is he on ebay as schilachi??

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
yes that is correct....and he is seiko chrono on here too...we get a break on costs if you email him here too...he is amazing to deal with...a worn piece will ruin a project for sure

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
well if i can help in any way..please just let me know...God Bless John...always glad to help my friend

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I've done a few of them and sometimes that finger can look ok but doesn't have enough length to pull the date disc round.
Sometimes it can be stretched to do it - but often it needs replacing.
Apart from that and the balance not being a good timekeeper they're ok watches:)

Good you've done photos as its easy to forget to put the esc. wheel in before fitting the ctr wheel bridge.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I contacted Stefan but unfortunately he does not have one. I was looking at the finger and wondering whether it would be possible to build it up somehow, maybe a tiny dot of araldite? Alternatively, if I take the part from another watch maybe I could fit a dateless dial to that one. I don't think the dial feet would be the same though and I would probably have to attach the dial another way. Not too keen on that. Other than that I think I will get another watch off Ramon but ask him to make sure the date changes ok.

Good you've done photos as its easy to forget to put the esc. wheel in before fitting the ctr wheel bridge.
I'm glad I took the photos they were helpful, especially for gettting things in the right order like you say.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
hey Ramon usually has lots of these on hand...just drop him a email...he should be able to help...God Bless John

·
Registered
461 Posts
Dave , ill PM you for your address mate, i have a spare date finger that i can send you FOC, I was kindly sent an amount of parts by other members of this forum to aid me in my build, I will hapily continue to spread the good will by posting on the part that you need to complete your build.like you i to am doing a renovation job on a 4205 ladies diver also for my sister. Look on the "how i modded renovated my watch" section on the forum for how my work is going. Ive jus got to post up the last of the pictures from the build and i think im done, any help that i can offer just ask ok mate.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have replied to your pm.
Many thanks for the generous offer, how kind.
You're doing one for your sis too! Great minds think alike. Although there have been times when I wished I had decided to just give her some gift vouchers instead:)
I'll have a look see at your job.
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
461 Posts
Replied to your pm mate, have to agree with you, they are sooo small arent they. Hope the bit i send will work for you, will follow your build with interest whilst mine is also in progress.
happy to continue the goodwill that has been given to me by forum members.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thanks to Transporter I am making progress again. He very kindly sent me the date finger that I needed and one or two other parts that will come in very handy. A big thankyou.
So now the date is changing as it should and the movement is back in the case.
Next on the list is a caseback gasket.
I have the remnants of the old one but is is too far gone to use. It looks like a flat gasket is fitted to these. I have measured the groove where it sits and I can get some no problem from Cousins. Can anyone please confirm that it should be a flat gasket before I order some up.
Springbars.
What thickness? Could get some from Cousins when I order the gaskets but the heaviest ones they have in stock is 1.8mm. I imagine that should do as it is not that big a watch.
Strap.
Not too sure what sort of strap to fit. I was thinking better to play safe and just fit a black nylon one for now and let her decide later if she prefers something different. 17mmm doesn't seem to be a popular size, I haven't found one so far. Has anyone knowledge of a good supplier?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Well thanks to Transporter I am making progress again. He very kindly sent me the date finger that I needed and one or two other parts that will come in very handy. A big thankyou.
So now the date is changing as it should and the movement is back in the case.
Next on the list is a caseback gasket.
I have the remnants of the old one but is is too far gone to use. It looks like a flat gasket is fitted to these. I have measured the groove where it sits and I can get some no problem from Cousins. Can anyone please confirm that it should be a flat gasket before I order some up.
Springbars.
What thickness? Could get some from Cousins when I order the gaskets but the heaviest ones they have in stock is 1.8mm. I imagine that should do as it is not that big a watch.
Strap.
Not too sure what sort of strap to fit. I was thinking better to play safe and just fit a black nylon one for now and let her decide later if she prefers something different. 17mmm doesn't seem to be a popular size, I haven't found one so far. Has anyone knowledge of a good supplier?
Thanks again.

Good:)
Flat seal.
20mm s/bars

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just got a gasket for my 4205-0140 from a US supplier. It is supposed to be a Seiko part but came in a generic envelope. It is a flat gasket. If you want to double check the dimensions, here is what I got. 24.2mm, based on part number coding. This seems to be an inside measurement. The width of the gasket is is about .8mm. The thickness seems to be .6mm. I'm a little vague because it is hard to accurately measure rubber with my digital caliper. The gasket drops from the jaws at these measurements.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that. Those measurements are just about exactly the same as mine from the case. they are only available in .5mm so will just have to see what they are like.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts