The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
When Seiko re-issued the KS in 2000, they really meant it as a re-issue:

2000 4S15-7040


1973 5621-7021
[img]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2849/wrist1ascale.jpg

:)
Cheers,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Excellent! Caseback shots please? I know the 2000 reissue has some special engraving, but still would be interesting to see casebacks side by side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ted said:
Excellent! Caseback shots please? I know the 2000 reissue has some special engraving, but still would be interesting to see case backs side by side.
Hi Ted,
You are right, the 2000 KS re-issue has a rather different case back:


The 5621 KS I have does not have a medallion, so its case back is a lot less impressive. Another 5626 KS I have does have a medallion, but it has a different one-piece case (open through glass type). Here they are together with a hand wind 6300-8009 that has a strikingly similar case to the 5621 and 4S15 KS's:

Left to right: 6300-8009 hand wind, 5621-7021 KS, 4S15-7040 KS, 5626-7000 KS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nhoJ said:
Maybe Seiko felt they couldn't possibly improve the original.

Very nice.
John,
I agree with that. The original KS design has clean, simple and well-defined lines and the well-known signature Seiko "star burst" dial, baton markers (with a double baton at 12 o'clock) and specifically shaped hours and minutes hands with a black stripe in the middle. The re-issue has exactly these same elements, the same case lines, the same signed crown, the same overall dimensions and it hacks and hand winds just like the earlier KS models.
There are some improvements but they are very subtle: the re-issue uses a sapphire crystal (afaik, not 100% sure about that) and of course the 2000 4S15 is an improvement on the 70's 52 and 56 movements used in the previous KS generation. And finally the strap which afaik is genuine alligator on the re-issue.
Cheers,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
danem said:
:bravo_2: Andre !!
Thanks Danish! :)

Here is another shot showing the "old" medallion versus the "re-issue" medallion. The old medallion is convex and has a kind of "skin" grain in the background, whereas the new medallion is flat and has a "sand" grain in the background, and the fonts are different:


Also there is one thing that I find odd in the re-issue KS: it does not have a Daini or Suwa symbol anywhere. I am sure there is a reason for that, but I don't know it.
Cheers,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
ADB said:
John,
I agree with that. The original KS design has clean, simple and well-defined lines and the well-known signature Seiko "star burst" dial, baton markers (with a double baton at 12 o'clock) and specifically shaped hours and minutes hands with a black stripe in the middle. The re-issue has exactly these same elements, the same case lines, the same signed crown, the same overall dimensions and it hacks and hand winds just like the earlier KS models.
There are some improvements but they are very subtle: the re-issue uses a sapphire crystal (afaik, not 100% sure about that) and of course the 2000 4S15 is an improvement on the 70's 52 and 56 movements used in the previous KS generation. And finally the strap which afaik is genuine alligator on the re-issue.
Cheers,
Looks like the signed crown and the shape of the lugs is slightly different too, but you are right, for all intents and purposes these are the same watch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
ADB said:
Thanks Danish! :)

Here is another shot showing the "old" medallion versus the "re-issue" medallion. The old medallion is convex and has a kind of "skin" grain in the background, whereas the new medallion is flat and has a "sand" grain in the background, and the fonts are different:


Also there is one thing that I find odd in the re-issue KS: it does not have a Daini or Suwa symbol anywhere. I am sure there is a reason for that, but I don't know it.
Cheers,
[/quote]

Yes that is quite odd maybe some Seiko experts will put some light on this .....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
ADB said:
Thanks Danish! :)

Here is another shot showing the "old" medallion versus the "re-issue" medallion. The old medallion is convex and has a kind of "skin" grain in the background, whereas the new medallion is flat and has a "sand" grain in the background, and the fonts are different:


Also there is one thing that I find odd in the re-issue KS: it does not have a Daini or Suwa symbol anywhere. I am sure there is a reason for that, but I don't know it.
Cheers,
[/quote]

Interesting how the dial side shots look almost identical yet the back sides show the cases to be fairly different. Seiko is very good at blending like that :great:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pete,
Actually the dial and crown side shots were of the two KS's in the middle of the four case backs shot, and they have almost identical cases and case backs (despite being 27 years apart in manufacturing dates), save for the medallion on the case back of the 2000 KS, of course.
The two KS's with medallions in the last picture have very different cases, the 5626 KS has a one piece -7000 case with much thicker lugs and a very different back.
Here is its dial:

5626-7000 King Seiko


(note the baton markers seem a little thicker than the two KS's first pictured above)

Cheers,
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top