The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what actually makes these better/worse than one another apart from accuracy. Does the Grand Seiko have that much better finishing or design that it deserves double the price? Or are you just paying for the name?

Also How do the Vintage Grand Seikos stack up against the new ones. Is there the same amount of detail and finishing on the vintage ones?

·
Special Member
6,477 Posts
Welcome to the SCWF. There is a lot of WISdom contained in the brains of our members!

I own a 36000 bph Lord Marvel. It keeps great time but is not the best Seiko ever made. Its purpose was to prove the 10 ticks per second on a mass produced scale. Watching the second hand move like fluid is mesmerizing. The build quality of the case and dial and fit and finish are on a par with the King Seikos and Grand Seikos of their time, in my humble opinion.

The Vintage Grand Seikos keep far better time, at least when new. The King Seikos are right there except not quite all the way for time keeping and have a separate look.

Any vintage watch, without exception, is only as good as its internal condition. One slightly bent or worn pivot, spring, parts location/wobble/alignment can render them far from original specs. The point of a vintage GS is not super-great timekeeping, it is the feel, look and aura of a vintage peice, and yes it can be serviced as good as new too.

Modern mechanical Grand Seikos are far far better than the vintage GS's in every way, consistent with advances in parts manufacturing.

Stick around SCWF and continue to read and post.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have two vintage grand seikos and they are both very good time keepers. But the Grand Seiko in so far as I know has always been completely hand assembled and finished. I believe the king is a production line watch but as I said I am not at all sure

1 - 3 of 3 Posts