The Watch Site banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've posted quite a bit over at OmegaForums. This question is more suited to this forum though.

I've looked at King Seiko for quite some time now. I particularly like the 4502 types that are true high beat 36000 bph with the gold medallions on the back. I think I have a feeling for what a correct medallion is and what might not be. What makes it hard is not having a reference of obviously incorrect medallions.

I've heard that since they are gold, many times they are removed an replaced with a fake. I'm curious what you think about these two.

The files are names as I think they could be.

The possibly good one looks like many of the medallions I have seen. The background has texture to it and the word "SEIKO" looks even.

The possibly bad one appears to have some holes worn in it. The color appears off, but that may just be the lighting; it's hard to make a call based on that. The word "SEIKO" appears uneven to me. The "K" and to some extent the "I" appear too big and not on the same level as the rest of the letters.

I would very much appreciate the input of others here that are probably more of an expert at these medallions.

Also, if anyone knows of some links to or pictures of fake medallions, that would be great. I would like to know that what I am buying is correct.

Thank you in advance,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't think somebody removed the medallions for the gold, they usually just worn out. There is a very small amount of aftermarket replacements on the market, and these are not solid gold, but only plated. When looking to buy one look for the case back font, if looks worn, but medallion looks like new, then it's a replacement. The ones posted by you look ok for 45KS.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,356 Posts
Here's a caseback shot of my 5626 Chronometer. It is a King Seiko in all but name and are unusual to find. I guess they were sold in markets that didn't offer KS?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts