The Watch Site banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the King and have had the Original for many years. I did a little comparison on my Instagram page that I thought I'd share with the SCWF folks as well.

Original - King Samurai
43mm - 43.5mm (excluding crown)
7S36 - 4R35 movement
Hardlex Crystal - Sapphire with Cyclops
Aluminum Bezel Insert - Ceramic Bezel Insert
Textured Dial - Waffle dial
Red Second Tip - Gold Second tip
Sword Hands - Arrow + Sword Combo
No 200m accent - Gold 200m accent
Metal Bracelet - Silicone strap
No Crown Guard - Crown Guard

Both: SS, 41 hour power reserve, 23J, Screwdown knurled crown, knurled bezel edge

You will also notice the "rivets" on the side of the original don't exist on the new, the polishing of the side of the case is in different directions & even though the photos don't show it (maybe even looks like the opposite??) the new appears and feels much larger on my wrist (perhaps due to the portruding crown). Really digging the ceramic bezel vs. the aluminum, but having one that is minimally scuffed it's still very appealing.

If I had to choose, I'd still choose the original - maybe because it is near and dear to my heart vs. because it it better looking because the King is a very lovely piece and I am happy I chased it down.

JR
IG: @my_seiko_obsession

Watch Analog watch Blue White Light
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Blue
Watch Analog watch Photograph Product Blue
Hand Blue Finger Gesture Thumb
Hand Finger Thumb Font Wrist
Hand Hood Azure Gesture Rectangle
Watch Arm Leg Gesture Finger
Sky Azure Tower Building Facade
Watch Analog watch Sky Clock Rim
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light

·
Special Member
7,891 Posts
Great comparison thanks!

I have the original in titanium and a few others in the new series.

Like you say the new ones are very nice for sure too. These King waffle dials impress.

Interesting dimension comparison the new ones seen larger but only 0.5mm apart.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for the details.

What is the dial diameter difference between the two?

I have seen various companies increase case size, but have found I find it very undesirable when the cases are larger but the dial is still the same size. When the dial size goes up, I tend to like it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Grammarofdesign thank you! I forgot to list the thickness 14mm vs 13.5mm (old vs new) so they have definitely slimmed down the case (I am guessing due to slimmer movement/better technology).

@ramairthree dial diameter 31.5 vs 32mm (old v new) so not much!

Thanks for checking it out!

JR
IG: my_seiko_obsession

·
Special Member
1,102 Posts
I bought the original white dial (as above) when it first became available. I always thought the hour and minute hands are too skinny and doesn't go well with the large (and thick) case.

I tried fitting a set of aftermarket plonguer hands but after a while I refitted the original hands and sold the watch.

IMO, the King Samurai is a more balance design overall. :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don’t understand Seiko’s fascination with shorter, stubbier hands and non classic dive watch choices of shapes, etc.

There are objectively documentable shapes, lengths, and width ratios know to be best for visibility, accuracy of readability, Lume capacity, and subjectively most pleasing to the largest percentage of people.

And yet the forgo this repeatedly.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Which are the objectively best (extant) designs?

I always thought it was odd that there are relatively few white and black painted hands (seen, for example, on the 7C43-7010 and SBCZ005), as they massively improve clarity.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I don't disagree with some of these comments, you also have to remember that design aesthetic has changed dramatically in the 15+ years between these watches. Think of vehicle design - where it was then vs. now. Tastes (of designer and consumer) have absolutely changed. I remember how thrilled I was when I got the original, I didn't see any design flaws when I looked at it or especially when I wore it. I feel the same with this watch.

Maybe when we look back from the 2036 Sammy we will hate on it a little too, but they were both the right watch at the right time for me.

JR

·
Registered
495 Posts
There is nearly a century of data on high readability, fast readability, high stress ease of use, etc. in timepieces and other instrumentation.

For example, this insturment has a fairly unclutered face, the fast hand reaches the measured indices with a point that does not obscure them, with low light index on the moving/reading end. The next fastest measurement is also kissing the indices, has contrast to the face, a distinct point, and good contrast with the face, As does the slowest hand. This would score pretty high. This applies to timepieces, altimeters, speed indicators, pressure, fuel, temp, etc.

This, on the other hand, well, it’s a mess.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Guinand is extremely clear. I always though the Mk 11 was a pretty great pattern for clarity, and it seems Seiko produced a derivative in the 1990s.

Watch Hand Finger Clock Measuring instrument

7N21-0010
Image from user "reckness"

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seiko makes plenty of watches that fit the bill of legibility, perhaps a few of the best - especially for divers. I don't think that's anywhere near what they set out to do with these...especially with the original white Samurai in my pics (white on white on silver). I don't consider this a true diver (because of what is written below) & I don't believe it was made for that despite the 200m rating (this is what I'd call a "Dress Diver" watch).

In my opinion they were focused mainly on case design as shown by the sharp edges, crisp polishing, knurled accents and overall fit and finish - nobody can argue that it's not a strong package & it's ended up being an iconic design for them (thus the re-release).

Also, go look back at the original Samurai - Black / Blue with white hands (very legible), Orange with white hands / black bezel (less legible, but still pretty good) - I don't think the smaller hands distract from that other than on this white one and the Thai versions which look mostly to me like someone at Seiko having a little fun with "design exercises."

I am not arguing that there are better layouts for legibility - there absolutely are. I don't think that is what they were originally after when pursuing the Samurai designs.

JR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts