The Watch Site banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this early kinetic watch. I wanted a full size Kinetic diver with day date.
I got this as a best offer of the bay with a new capacitor. Works really well. It has held charge for 4 days from dead with a couple of hours ware.

I've done a quick surf but cannot find any info about the auto quartz dial.

I'm pretty happy but would have liked a bigger dial.
It has Kanji date also.
Any more info would be awesome.
Cam

·
Special Member
1,834 Posts
Not sure what info you are after but the watch was produced for only a short period of time.

It should be from around 1993, confirm from the serial number.

The model number would be SBBW003 and the original price was 60,000 yen.

The watch originally came on a rubber straight vented strap GL03B.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only models I have seen have either kinetic or AGS on the dial.
The caseback serial starts with a 2O so im guessing October 1992.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think auto quartz pre-dated AGS and the new Prospex website has a clickable pic of the history of Seiko Dive Watches here
http://www.seiko-prospex.com/sea
which shows the AGS version under 1992 so yours may have only been available for a matter of a month or two.... nice find!

·
Special Member
1,834 Posts
October 92 would be the correct date. I think that model was only produced for around a year.

As Peter mentions the Auto Quartz were renamed AGS and then later in 1991 the Kinetic brand was introduced and AGS slowly phased out.

Seiko first showed the technology in 1986 at Basel under the name of AGM and then released the first retail model in 1988.

The short period of Auto Quartz may be due to a naming dispute with ETA who produced Autoquartz models from 1998 but may have registered the name earlier.

Seiko seems to make no mention of Auto Quartz on their official sites anymore only referring to the AGS branding.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I like the design of that one.

The newer Seiko solar divers seem to be a "reissue" if you want to call it that.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like it and bought it because I wanted a kinetic in my collection.
Its a 41mm case but I'm now used to much bigger dials.
I doubt I will ware it much which is a shame.
I like the starfish style bezel the odd dial and the day date.
I will probably list it next week for sale.
Might keep an eye out for a gmt kinetic or something bigger.

·
Special Member
3,465 Posts
A bit of an old topic, but I got my hands on a march 1992 "autoquartz" 5m23-7A00 :)

Excellent seller's photos.

I needed to replace the capacitor and clean both rotors, were covered in a lot of (magnetic?) debris. No idea where it came from. But the watch runs fine again :)

·
Special Member
4,964 Posts
Congrats! I have one of the steel "AutoQuartz" versions as well.

I have found that "AutoQuartz" was not really in use in the rest of the world, as I have 1988 kinetics that have the A.G.S. branding. I believe Japan used "AutoQuartz" longer. The change might have occurred in 1992, as there are AQ and AGS Versions of this lovely little watch around. Or maybe the AQ ones are JDM and the AGS are ROW?

Any other AutoQuartz watches in your collections? ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.