Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Has anyone hard from Ken Setser lately? He's had my Lord Marvel Hi-Beat almost two years now, and stopped replying to my emails after he'd ruined the dial he was supposed to restore.

mgz

·
Registered
776 Posts
I had 2 watches done by him last year and they took a couple of months. I have to say they were done very nicely and he discounted the price 25% for my "patience". I did read somewhere he is no longer in business. Maybe someone down that way can check him out for you.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
re

I guess the guy has probably BURNT OUT, as often long hours are needed and often for VERY little money or enjoyment.:(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, thats what Im thinking as well. The thing is, i accept people having difficulties and if he cant finish the watch, that's perfectly OK. I'll pay him for what's done to it, if anything. I just want the watch back. It is my first, and it has sentimental value.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
1,816 Posts
good luck on getting your watch back, but i really doubt that you will. as good as ken setser WAS (key word), there has been a flurry of reports over many forums about how ken has either not returned watches, not made good on promises or disappeared altogether for long periods of time only to have him resurface and have the cycle start over again.

one or two incidents is understandable as life often gets in the way of many things, but there are alot of stories regarding ken and his unprofessionalism with clients in recent years. heck, how long did he have chris moy's 6159-7001? did chris even get it back?

be forewarned that anyone who uses him is rolling the dice, BIGTIME!

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the site may be up, but he does not reply to my emails.

·
Vendor
1,693 Posts
Never had any work with Ken, However he must be still working as he buys lots of parts off me regular & I can only say he is a very good customer, Dont know if this helps Guys!?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am still getting work done by Ken. (he is restoring my 7549, I always get an answer from him but I have to call his shop, and speak with him over the phone, Honestly I think he just doesn't have the time to keep up with email. I mean yes it sometimes takes long for a restoration, (I waited for over 4 years once for a 7C43 restoration) But his work I have always been happy with.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Your straights do NOT sound good!!! I'd have wanted my watch back... a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago (like after the screw-up)!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your straights do NOT sound good!!! I'd have wanted my watch back... a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago (like after the screw-up)!!! Good luck!
To be honest through it was a complete basket case before, I had some watch makers turn it away because it needed too much work, and Ken was able to save it. Also I have patience, so I could wait for the the watch (mainly because I kept buying more and more of them like so many of us do).

But overall, beside taking long sometimes I trust Ken with my watches which I know is not easy to say for some people, but that is just my experience with him up until this point.

However I think we all need to realize that in general that there are not too many people around that care able/ capable/ willing/ knowledgeable to work we want done, such as full restorations, modifications and so on.

I've had very bad experiences with watchmakers by me locally so, I just find it as blessing that we know watchmakers that will accept work over the internet, and that they specialize in Seiko restoration.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Never had any work with Ken, However he must be still working as he buys lots of parts off me regular & I can only say he is a very good customer, Dont know if this helps Guys!?
I hope that is a good sign that he is working through his backlog.

The point of diminished return: If you make $100 a week working 1 day on a side job you tell yourself if I worked 7 days a week on side jobs I could make $700.

So you quit your real job and start taking on work and don't want to have a lull so you keep committing to projects to lock in the money only to find yourself overwhelmed and no days off and get burned out.

Hopefully Ken is coping well as he is / was a well respected member of the forum in the early days.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, since he is in contact with others and blanks me, I assume he ruined the watch and doesn't want to go through the hassle of telling me.

Maybe one of you who's in regular contact with him could ask him about it? Norwegian owner, Lord Marvel dial restoration, can't be too many of that combination.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
BTW here is a image. Right watch is what it should look like (not my watch)
Dial to the left is what my dial looked like after "restoration".

Edit: does it work now?

·
Special Member
4,890 Posts
Re: ken

I don't like to bad mouth anyone, and I normally just accept bad experiences as part of life. Well, I sent Ken an albacore (made by yobokies) to replace the crown and tube because I was having trouble screwing in. He installed a rolex type crown and tube and it's impossible to operate because it's too recessed into the case, and not to mention that it ruins the original ascetic design. The crown should protrude.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.