The Watch Site banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys,

Time for me to get more involved on this site given my Seiko addiction :p

I'm the one who was selling that July '70 Proof/Proof. Sale actually fell through as the buyer did not realize it wasn't currently running. Debating if I ship off to Guy to fix it first (he did a bang up job on my other 6105).

I've changed the strap to a WJean chocolate bar as I think this is what is originally came with?

I also have a very clean non-running 8000 Resist that I'm debating what I want to do about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just inherited my father's old Seiko dive watch. He used to do a lot of scuba diving in the 70s and supposedly his cousin brought this back from Japan for him.

I bought another Seiko after my father passed to remember him by, as we could not locate his Seiko. He had not worn it in years, but it is the watch I remember him wearing as a child. My mom just found it in a box of random paperwork. Very excited.

It started right up after moving it around a bit.

I figure it's probably due for a service and the crystal is pretty scratched up. Any recommendations on who to send it to?

View attachment 462484

View attachment 462485
I have a later model, 1974, that I purchased new while floating on the South China Seas on the USS Kitty Hawk. I still have it. In 2018 my $20 Casio digital watch crapped out but no worry I have other watches around here. I re-discovered my Diver 6105-8110 and started wearing it. It ran quite fast but oh well. At this point I had no idea that this watch was iconic! And fetch quit a bit dollars. To get to the point, I found a website "
Subscribed to Adventures ining! Amateur Watch Fettl
I just inherited my father's old Seiko dive watch. He used to do a lot of scuba diving in the 70s and supposedly his cousin brought this back from Japan for him.

I bought another Seiko after my father passed to remember him by, as we could not locate his Seiko. He had not worn it in years, but it is the watch I remember him wearing as a child. My mom just found it in a box of random paperwork. Very excited.

I figure it's probably due for a service and the crystal is pretty scratched up. Any recommendations on who to send it to?

View attachment 462484

View attachment 462485

View attachment 462484

View attachment 462485
I had my 1974 Seiko 6105-8110 serviced at Seiko Service Center in NJ. www.seikoserviceusa.com. I purchased mine new from the ship's store while floating around in the South China Seas on the USS Kitty Hawk. I had no idea the value of these! I snooped around the web on and found "Adventures in Amateur Watch Fettling", Martin there, help me out with recommendations on what to do with my watch. My watch was operational but very fast hence the trip to the service center. They are are very helpful and efficient in what you want to do. My watch runs great now! Dave

·
Special Member
3,235 Posts
I have a later model, 1974, that I purchased new while floating on the South China Seas on the USS Kitty Hawk. I still have it. In 2018 my $20 Casio digital watch crapped out but no worry I have other watches around here. I re-discovered my Diver 6105-8110 and started wearing it. It ran quite fast but oh well. At this point I had no idea that this watch was iconic! And fetch quit a bit dollars. To get to the point, I found a website "

I had my 1974 Seiko 6105-8110 serviced at Seiko Service Center in NJ. www.seikoserviceusa.com. I purchased mine new from the ship's store while floating around in the South China Seas on the USS Kitty Hawk. I had no idea the value of these! I snooped around the web on and found "Adventures in Amateur Watch Fettling", Martin there, help me out with recommendations on what to do with my watch. My watch was operational but very fast hence the trip to the service center. They are are very helpful and efficient in what you want to do. My watch runs great now! Dave

Do You have any photos of you wearing the 6105 on board the USS Kitty Hawk while floating around in the South China Seas :)

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Do You have any photos of you wearing the 6105 on board the USS Kitty Hawk while floating around in the South China Seas :)
Yes, I was on the Kitty Hawk for a couple of weeks doing testing in the South Pacific back in the 1990s. My first catapult launch too. Would love to see a pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
That’s awesome! My first 6105 was my cousins who was also in the Navy. Had it beautifully restored and then the family issues began!

My cousin’s kids found out how much it was worth and created hell for me so I sold it to someone here, can’t remember who and split the moneys after my service costs.

·
Craftsman
1,644 Posts
Late to the party. Wonderful story of your father and his 6105. You have a real gem there. Have it serviced and wear it in good health with remembrance of your Dad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did anyone see this Proof/Proof that ended last night here in the UK?

Seems another nice example and came with its original strap and box... for what that’s worth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Looking at the ebay watch, there is much more damage to the watch face than there is on my father's watch. The luminescence and the silver around it seem to be worn. Just curious as to what causes that. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looking at the ebay watch, there is much more damage to the watch face than there is on my father's watch. The luminescence and the silver around it seem to be worn. Just curious as to what causes that. Thanks
A fairly common ailment known as the black gunk.. though maybe black funk sounds better! It’s a mould typically due to the presence of some moisture in the case at some point.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nice!

Glad to see you wearing and enjoying it!

Yes,
20 years ago we were buying and selling classic 6217s, 6105s, 6159s, 6309/6s at priced very different than today.

You might find a really nice one on eBay or in a pawn shop for $100,
or pay 500$ for a very nice serviced one. A rough one was $100.
Current prices are more robust.

In general, 6105 dials tend to age like most women. Very few are looking super hot drooling over sexy in their 50s compared to how they were looking at 20.

The dial on your’s does fall into the Jennifer Anniston, Nicole Kidman, etc. Aging very well category. And unlike many of this is all natural.

I would not relume it, but I do think a new crystal and gaskets would be amazing and a movement service and it could likely be a daily wear watch for the rest of your life and be passed to your son.

·
Special Member
5,123 Posts

Interesting, I was east coast homeported on uss Sellers and uss Wainwright late 80’s through early 90’s.
When did you buy the watch? And when did you have it serviced at nj service center? I haven’t heard of anyone having a 6105 serviced there.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts