The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just inherited my father's old Seiko dive watch. He used to do a lot of scuba diving in the 70s and supposedly his cousin brought this back from Japan for him.

I bought another Seiko after my father passed to remember him by, as we could not locate his Seiko. He had not worn it in years, but it is the watch I remember him wearing as a child. My mom just found it in a box of random paperwork. Very excited.

It started right up after moving it around a bit.

I figure it's probably due for a service and the crystal is pretty scratched up. Any recommendations on who to send it to?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just inherited my father's old Seiko dive watch. He used to do a lot of scuba diving in the 70s and supposedly his cousin brought this back from Japan for him.

I bought another Seiko after my father passed to remember him by, as we could not locate his Seiko. He had not worn it in years, but it is the watch I remember him wearing as a child. My mom just found it in a box of random paperwork. Very excited.

I figure it's probably due for a service and the crystal is pretty scratched up. Any recommendations on who to send it to?

View attachment 462484

View attachment 462485
A very worthy watch to commemorate!!! Wear it in good health and remembrance.

andysm
[/QUO

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So from what I can tell since it says Waterproof, that means it was made in 1970 and is very rare? I have no interest in selling it, but now I'm thinking I might need to insure it if its really worth thousands.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Congratulations! A 6105 proof/proof with what looks to be a gorgeous dial, idk about insurance but please take special care of it. I would just leave it as is and keep it safe.

·
Registered
743 Posts
So from what I can tell since it says Waterproof, that means it was made in 1970 and is very rare? I have no interest in selling it, but now I'm thinking I might need to insure it if its really worth thousands.
Yes, a rare gem indeed!...If I were you, I would have it serviced, and would leave the case and crystal untouched!...You have a family jewel that is to be cherished by subsequent generations!

·
Special Member
3,200 Posts
Looks to be a 100% original 6105-8110 Proof/Proof. Proof Dial and Caseback, Longer Sweep Seconds, Round Cutout to the Crown Area, and slimmer Profile. If you open the caseback should have a 6105B movement with early chamfered edges. Most Proofs are from June 1970 but yours is May making it one of the earliest I have seen. Service the movment, new crystal, and diver strap of your choice (From my understanding the chocolate bar strap was originally supplied with the Proofs).

Beautiful Watch, Beautiful condition :)

·
Special Member
27,389 Posts
This is the kind of Story and Watch that I would Love to rejuvenate for you Gratis. Service, Gaskets and Crystal if you plan to wear it. Just a service and gaskets if you are going to display the watch. Congrats on a Wonderful Keepsake. If I may ask, Where has your Father Dived with the Watch ? TIA

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is an incredibly kind offer. I will likely take you up on it. My father mostly just dove in the Puget Sound in Washington with his Cousin and my Mom when they were in college. Later in he did some salvage diving in the Columbia River on a plane crash.
He and my mother took a trip to Hawaii when I was little, and they ended up with a huge storm watch and they couldn't go out in the water. Really dissapointed both of them. They were really looking forward to diving in warm water instead of what they were used to up here.

·
Registered
307 Posts

View attachment 462484

View attachment 462485
This is awesome - did I read you right, that you have two of these after not finding your dad's, you bought another?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Washington State
I'm in West Seattle. I lost my local guy, he was one of the many covid small-business shutdown victims. But I found another watchmaker downtown, he helped me restore a rare diver and I think he's worth checking out. Jerry's watch repair.

·
Registered
307 Posts

View attachment 462484
The dial looks to be a from a 6105-8000 I may need new prescription lenses...

1 - 20 of 102 Posts