The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Its the long waited Seiko GMT Kinetic Tuna Air Diver. Yes, i was hunting for it the whole week as soon as i heard news that it was released. But it was sold out everywhere ! Found one piece yesterday and grab it without hesitation. I am glad i found the bracelet model. (i am a bracelet guy !). Now for some small review.

The Seiko Prospex Kinetic GMT Diver’s 200m watches is available in three versions. The SUN019 in steel bracelet, then there are the SUN021 and SUN023, both of which are on a new version of softer rubber strap with black PVD steel strap keeper. The SUN021 has a Black PVD coated steel case with a black PVD coated bezel.

They are nick named as the GMT Kinetic Tuna probably due to the shroud shape and its GMT Kinetic movement.

Mine comes in a black Seiko outer box with a inner Seiko Piano wooden box. Of course the manual and guarantee card too.

The watch is well finished with brushed surface on the shroud area and bezel. The steel shroud is screwed to a inner polished case, giving the watch an overall diameter of 47.5 mm and it wear BIG !. It seems removing the 3 x securing screw on the shroud will remove the inner case from the bottom (with bracelet removed). The GMT Kinetic Tuna is rated at 200m, and surprisingly has a sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating.

The bezel is uni-directional and tight. The dial is easy to read and i like especially the raise indice. The hands are big, board and thick. Nice for a diver. Crown located at 3pm and is screw down. There is also a power reserve button at 2pm with screw down, lock function.

It has a Kinetic 5M85 movement, which has a GMT hand and date. Seiko Kinetic is powered by an oscillating weight (Rotor) that generates a electrical charge to its internal storage battery, which then powers the movement that keeps the time. Depending on charging level, a full charge the watch will run for about six months, with the second hand indicating the remaining power reserve when the button at two o’clock is pushed. The power reserve button has a screwed down function, locking the push button.
The lug are incorporated into the shroud and is 24mm width. Solid lug on the bracelet with flip-out diver’s extension. Clasps are very solid and well made, no rough pointy edge.

OK enough writting, time for some photos.
(see my blog for more photos)

Compulsory lume shot

Hope you guys enjoy it.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
That's a lovely looking watch, I really like the case side cut outs too.
Very nice!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is 2 item i notice.

1) the dial 3D indice seems to be incooperate in the chapter ring,
2) similar to the MM300, the crystal is much lower than the bezel ring...

More to be added....

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
I love it and ones been top of my wish list ever since I clapped eyes on them but after looking at your comparison pics damn it all I think it's just too big:(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Great review!

I like the watch overall with definitely a huge wrist presence. Interesting cutout design on the sides. The date window is a little bit hidden for my taste.

Is it a solid link bracelet with screws?

Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am waiting for this one here in Canada, but judging by the size on your wrist I am not too sure. How big is your wrist?? I have a tuna which is a tad smaller and I can wear that without a problem.
Paul

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Looking at the pictures on the blog the SUN's look HUGE next to everything. In particular I note that the diameter of the SRP Baby Tuna's is 48mm excluding crown, but the picture on the blog makes the 47.5mm (excluding crown) SUN model look much bigger than the Baby Tuna. I wonder if the SUN sitting higher has something to do with it?

·
Registered
156 Posts
It looks massive next to the tuna. I can manage wearing the tuna on my 7" wrist. I need to see and try one in the flesh before deciding if this is for me :(
Paul

·
Registered
50 Posts
It looks massive next to the tuna. I can manage wearing the tuna on my 7" wrist. I need to see and try one in the flesh before deciding if this is for me :(
Paul
Me too, it looks superb and very much my kind of thing but the size might be the deal breaker for me. Can't wait to see more comparisons and wrist shots!

Tony

1 - 20 of 57 Posts