The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first Seiko Diver at the thrift store a few days ago. After a little research, figured out how to make it go. The lack of manual wind was the issue. Bezel didn't turn, but got it to loosen up with a bit of oil on the ball. Now clicks around nicely in both directions. It's been running for two days now. Seems to be losing about 30 seconds per day. It appears to be pretty much unmolested other than the hideous after-market strap. It's quickly becoming my preferred daily wearer. The watch looks great, but I'm wondering whether it makes sense to get it reconditioned, or is it better to leave it as found. At the very least, I'd like to get the crystal polished and hands cleaned up. Also, am interested in recommendations for a strap replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
New crystal, gaskets, movement service. Otherwise it's perfect.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Congrats! You are one hell of a lucky dude to be able to find such a watch in a thrift shop of all places! I cant even find s cheapo Timex in any of mine!
Hope they didnt soak ya on the price too much!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Another Choice find .............

Yes the advice is great too, and then it will be a great one
to own and have. Its in good condition I would say and
you should keep it if you like it. Again get the good advice
because its free from the ...... " PRO'S " on here.
:72::iagree:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Very clean for a thrift store find. Congrats!

Btw- the -8009 is the earlier, smaller symmetric diver; this one's a -8119.

The 19mm waffle strap by WJean is a nice choice, as it very nearly replicates the original ZLM01 waffle strap. They're $40 or so at auction (but the seller gives WIS discounts - mention SCWF), but occasionally they're put on sale here for less.

Polishing the crystal is no easy matter - the simpler route is to buy a reproduction or NOS crystal and save yours for a rainy day when/if these can't be found. Reproductions are ~$25, NOS from ~2x to ~4x that.

+1 on getting the movement serviced. Search for service recommendations here if you don't have a watchmaker.

Again, congrats - always nice to see a clean original 6105 back in the family.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
best to just clean and enjoy..remember with a quality watch..keep it original..that will keep the value in the watch...and if you have it worked on..make sure they know what they are doing too...great looking find

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Ditto to all the above, new crystal, gaskets and movement service. Minus 30 seconds per day is pretty good considering it has not been serviced for some years.

Personally mungy hands would annoy me intensely and I would probably do something about that. I can not see from the photographs but if a clean and relume would fix the situation I would do that. The relume would have to match the colour of the dial lume though or that would leave me equally frustrated. Why not get some hands from a 6119-8160 and use those?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
DAMN . . . . lucky b*****d . . . . finding that watch in a THRIFT STORE! And in that condition . . . great find.

I'd just give it a service and a new crystal and wear the snot out of it.

HUGE congrats and wear it in good health!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the helpful comments. Appears this may be another backfire for me though. I wanted a cool looking watch to wear during an upcoming deployment. The key though, is that I didn't want to care whether I banged it around. Now I don't feel like this one qualifies, so I suppose it's back to my Timex Indiglo. Will get this one serviced and a new crystal when I get back. Jury is out on the hands. Will post another pick later showing their condition. I am a lucky b*****d, but I do make my own luck since I never drive past a thrift store or yard sale without stopping and asking about watches. I get one or two nice watches a year that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Well thank you for serving this great country and keeping all of us safe...you have my prayers to keep you all safe too...

·
Registered
688 Posts
A careful clean and relume of the hands will likely yield a good result. They can also be replated. If you get an aftermarket thich sapphire crystal for it, the 6105 will take a beating as good as anything (but it won't take water quite as well as later watches with better crown gasket /stem designs).

·
Registered
373 Posts
Keep it simple....

New crystal or polish if possible (can buy aftermarket or NOS on eBay)
Service
NATO strap in grey and black stripes (James Bond version) looks good on this model
and you can pick up a NATO strap for usually less than 13 USD or go with the waffle
And leave the hands alone
Congrats on a good find, one of my favorite vintage divers period!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts