The Watch Site banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a great discussion back and forth about the "Arnie" with Tiger I finally decided to add one to fill in the whole in my collection. I did however buy one that only the digital part of the watch was functional. The analog hands do not run but I think for $80 bucks it was a very inexpensive way to enter the ranks of the "arnie" watch world without blowing big bucks. Plus with it being so popular obtaining knowledge about them should be easy. Plus I would rather be working on the analog quartz section of the watch instead of the digital any day. I may not get to it right away but now at least I have one and their current value when they are fully operational makes it worth spending a few dollars on.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I think perhaps a case of mistaken identity here mike ? :eek:
Sorry Tiger that's what happens when you get old! Now that I think about it I was discussing it with cannop maybe? I know it was a long thread and I must have gotten confused. Either was here she is. The watch is not to banged up but why someone would put that band on it I don't know. It will be coming of the watch straight away that's for sure! I'll most likely just put it on one of the heavy black NATO ring straps I have. So how did I do for $80 bucks?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Nice looking watch, shame about the bracelet, that is a horror :eek:hmy:
Do I assume the case is gold plated? :( I don't do gold, only stainless steel, very difficult to tidy up a gold case and make it look presentable:(

·
Craftsman
721 Posts
Well, strictly speaking that's not an Arnie. This model is often referred to as a pre-Arnie.

It's a lot smaller than the Arnie, and doesn't have the plastic shroud.

It does have a very similar movement to the Arnie, and the good thing is that getting spares (from donor watches) is still quite easy, mainly because most of the parts are interchangeable between the H556, H557 and H558.

You say the analogue (hands) part of the watch isn't working. This might be the coil, or the circuit (all interchangeable with the H557) or the movement itself (maybe from a previous battery leak).

I'd say you paid about what this watch is worth, and assuming you can get it working again you'll have a nice wearer (on a nato).

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have one banged up dress watch with a fully running H556 in it and a second good h556 movement and like I said I have a nice NATO strap in the spare bin so I should not have to spend any more on the watch than just the purchase price.
I remember reading about pre-Arnie's in some thread but I had no idea what the difference was. I see now it does not have the shroud and it looks a little different. I myself to not like watches any bigger than 42mm roughly so possible by accident I chose the model that I would prefer over the larger shrouded Arnie. I guess I'll see when it get here and I try it on. I have always liked the diver watches with the dual analog/digital displays but the nicer ones are pretty expensive. All in all I'm excited to be getting my pre Arnie just to see how I like it. I do like the dial lay out. I would really love an orange faced Arnie. If I like my pre Arnie enough maybe I sell a couple of watches to fund an orange faced Arnie. Man I tell you its hard to find a model of Seiko that once you buy one does not make you want to buy a couple more of the same style with different colors or bands!

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well baby Arnie arrived yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. The eBay pictures were not of a high quality but since it was not expensive and I have to fix the movement anyway I figured cleaning up the case was just going to be part of the repair process. Well when I unwrapped it the sides of the case are flawless without a mark. The bezel insert has only very light scuffs. The rear cover is the worst part with two light scratch marks from an obvious slip from a battery change but not deep at all. I have to get some pictures taken so I can upload. I have never dug into an H556 yet but I have spares the manual and my trusty Fluke meter so it just a matter of finding which part has decided to take a dirt nap. The digital portion works perfectly and the pushers work smoothly as does the crown. As soon as I get caught up with chores I need to first get the Spiedel flexible band off of it that someone installed. What a mismatch of components!

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As promised here is baby Arnie! The analog portion is not functional but no worries!
First as I received it with a stretch band!

After removing the offending bracelet
!
and the answer to all my problems. A 100% functional H556 movement from a dress watch variant as you can see by the face.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.