The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got these NOS SKX171's and I thought I'd share my thoughts. Pic heavy.

Boxes look original, all good so far :D

Case number reads 7S26-7020. I was expecting to see the the same case number as on my SKX007 i.e. 7S26-0020
Better take a look at the movement. These have been in storage somewhere for a good few years.

Looks good, no tarnishing etc.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A bit more info

The Dials both read 7S26 113 R R 2.
The seller said that had been in cupboard for about 10 years. I'm thinking from the serial numbers 260060 and 260057 that they date from June 2002.
I've used my manual watch winder (me swinging them from side to side until in danger of getting RSI) and they're both ticking away nicely and keeping good time.
I just love these movements. In a cupboard for over 10 years and start up on the dot.
I'll have to see if they've got a good power reserve.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Wow, so nice! Way to go!

My favorite SKX jayzon, with that way cool bezel combined with the sliver outlined markers, and black day/date. :wub:

I am a bit jealous you found both of these, and a bargain price, I imagine. But well done! :bowdown:

- Thomas

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something else to add

I just thought you might like to see this, especially for any UK SCWF members out there.

The letter is issued by Seiko UK ltd. From that I assume that there used to be authorised dealers selling the sort of mechanical Seiko dive watches that a lot of us covet, and now have to buy via import or the grey market.
I've only really been into mechanical watches in the last few years so this is a bit of a revelation to me.

The only mechanical Seiko's I see in UK from authorised dealers are the most basic of Seiko 5's. Am I missing something, or is there a reason why I see no SKX007's, Sumo's, Marine Masters etc here in the UK. Why do Seiko keep them as JDM or other markets only?

But, on the other hand. If they were so common place, would they hold the same appeal? :smiley_confused1:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Great score. I always liked the 171's, particularly the bezels. That combined with the more refined dial makes them a nice change from the SKX007.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update.
The power reserve on both is about 45 hours. I've heard that to be about right for a new 7S26. So for some which have been in a cupboard for over 10 years, I think that's pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts