The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

For those of you who aren't familiar with my association with Jonathan (Swedefreak).....basically the man was my surrogate father. He spend long hours mentoring me in watchmaking & case refinishing. Beyond our usual business relationship, we spent much time breaking bread in restaurants and talking about normal non-hobby related topics.
I knew the man as the person that he really was. Many of you only knew him as an online presence, but Jonathan Koch was so very much more and I feel honored to have had the chance to call him friend.

Below is a link to his obituary, it's the finality of things and the end of an era. Much is lost, but in his memory we will all strive to keep the hobby fun and full of learning moments for many years to come.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/de...ry.aspx?n=jonathan-mowrer-koch&pid=171346530&

·
Craftsman
3,723 Posts
Thanks for posting that Shawn! Jonathan will be missed by all of us.

Tom

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I already miss his occasional rants. My favorite was on polishing crystals, but the vague order details rants always brought a smile to my face. It always amazed me. There would always be a few people who get defensive, but he really was doing it to try to help the community. He knew they would make him sound like an old grouch anyway, and he went with it.

Anytime I asked a question he had a kind and helpful response. He truly was one of a kind and will be missed greatly. I'm saying this as one of the vast many who knew him as an online presence, so I feel for you as well. If you were as close as you say, and I have no reason to doubt your statements above, I consider that family. It may not be by blood, but anyone truly close to you is family, and from what you stated in your post you feel the same way. My prayers are with you and the rest of his family during this time of grieving.

-Micah

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Thank you Shawn, I like many here only knew Jonathan slightly, we chatted occasionally and swapped small talk whilst I ordered stuff but I got the feeling he was a good decent man, I'll miss him.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Thats Exactly right ........... Shark

Thats why we are to best treat everyone , especially Family
and good Friends as we should. When we abuse many and the they
are gone whethier passinbg or relocated then we actually see that how we
treated them is what hasd counted. Many regret to much later after all has changed.
Special ones, cherished ones and many more we still cherish and greatly rememer for a long time.

Our friend had gone on, but those that really knew him, they feel a missing piece that has been lost.
We on this Forum should hold many up high, and be thankful they were here with us and we all did well together.
Aloha:
To all that have left before us, Aloha till we meet again.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sad news indeed. I only 'talked shop' with Jonathan a few times, every one of which was enjoyable. He will be sorely missed.

To all those fortunate enough to count themselves among his close friends and family, my deepest condolences in this sad time. May all those fond memories you hold dear bring some sunshine into your lives, and smiles to your faces. As it's always the case, you just have to give it time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts