The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago, I found an old clock which I always presumed was German. It was in horrible shape, missing the minute hand, the pendulum suspension was broken and the case was..........etc. etc.[br /]In a bored moment, I decided to refinish the case, fix the pendulum and make a new hand.[br /]The end result was a not too bad looking, working clock.<p>Browsing the 'net one day I found a picture of an identical clock - well, amost identical. The one pictured had "Made in Occupied Japan" around the bottom of the dial.Does anyone have any information on the maker? Obviously it was made in the immediate post-WWII years.<P>

First try at posting on the new forum, so please bear with me.<P> Cheers! Hamish.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
"made in occupied Japan"? What an interesting origin label. I would really be interested in learning more about the thoughts behind that one. has anyone seen any other products bearing that mark?

·
Registered
187 Posts
HaggisCan said:
Years ago, I found an old clock which I always presumed was German. It was in horrible shape, missing the minute hand, the pendulum suspension was broken and the case was..........etc. etc.[br /]In a bored moment, I decided to refinish the case, fix the pendulum and make a new hand.[br /]The end result was a not too bad looking, working clock.<p>Browsing the 'net one day I found a picture of an identical clock - well, amost identical. The one pictured had "Made in Occupied Japan" around the bottom of the dial.Does anyone have any information on the maker? Obviously it was made in the immediate post-WWII years.<P>

First try at posting on the new forum, so please bear with me.<P> Cheers! Hamish.
Hi. Great first post. That basic style of wall clock with fancy front glass and large pendulum was manufactured by both Japanese and European clock companies for a couple of decades ending in the late 1940's. It was very popular, and those clocks are still seen in antique shops. They were regularly seen for sale at auction in the 1980's during the clock collecting heyday. Seikosha and Junghans are two companies whose name or trademark I've seen on similar wall clocks. Glad to read that yours is running. Look on the clock plates for a small logo or other identifying information.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi. Great first post. That basic style of wall clock with fancy front glass and large pendulum was manufactured by both Japanese and European clock companies for a couple of decades ending in the late 1940's. It was very popular, and those clocks are still seen in antique shops. They were regularly seen for sale at auction in the 1980's during the clock collecting heyday. Seikosha and Junghans are two companies whose name or trademark I've seen on similar wall clocks. Glad to read that yours is running. Look on the clock plates for a small logo or other identifying information.

Approach the Made In Occupied Japan label with a bit of skepticism, because some collectors look for that label. Although the style is certainly appropriate, it may have been added.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I found a similar style to yours here in a japan used store and bought it in 2003 for $50.00. Seikojohn's info correct. Mine has the Seikosha logo on the top dial...same small base and meant as a wall clock. The Seikosha/Seiko models are the most sought after. Another brand was Tokei from Nagoya, I have seen here in fleamarkets...
Love the ticking of the pendulum, made of brass! good old key winding! Gongs on the hour. Made in Occupied Japan is rather special IMO and have read about that labelling on some rare Japanese camera/lenses!!! when I was into Nikons etc.
I never did find out the vintage dating on mine, but Seikojohn suggests the 40s due to the Made in Occupied Japan text...mine is a 48 hour (or so) model. There are models which state 6 days etc....
Enjoy yours! (sorry but i have the photo of my somewhere saved on a USB stick..)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Isthmus said:
"made in occupied Japan"? What an interesting origin label. I would really be interested in learning more about the thoughts behind that one. has anyone seen any other products bearing that mark?
My Father would often talk about this time Period, he gave me a mini Camera and a Water Pistole with this markings, I do remember for him, he felt
it was of Great Emotional meaning, A nation that needed to rebuild, and a People that had great ability. He talked about the Struggle between Compassion and Hatred

He had been part of 1943 to 1946 So. Pacific Campaigns I am Proud to link that label /w the memory of Compassion, and the Amazing ability of Man to Recover,
and Rebuild

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quoting from the "Mission Statement":

The Seiko & Citizen Watch Forum (SCWF) is a discussion forumdedicated to the discussion of watches and clocks made by Japanesecompanies and their subsidiaries. (emphasis mine)

I know, it doesn't really fit into the "diver" class ;D .

Cheers! Hamish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'm too old to learn how to do the "quote" thingy or the html thingy (although it worked fine on the old forum ??? ). I'd like to put a reply to specific posters (as worked well on the old forum) but until then, it'll just have to go on the bottom.

I've always suspected that "collectors" of just about anything were a few bricks short of a load (myself included :D ) and am aware that some folks actually collect anything marked "Made in Occupied Japan". Just looking through my hoard of goodies, I have a split cane fly fishing rod in a nice wooden box so marked. Many household ornaments I have seen at flea markets were marked that way, but with collectors and Evilbay, not too many slip through the cracks any more.

This old clock doesn't have a marking of any description on the movement or the cabinet that I can find. Not to worry, it chimes the hour and once on the half hour and runs for about 8 days between windings. It doesn't have a second hand, so I can't brag about how close I have it regulated, but hey! I wind it weekly and occasionally set the minute hand a little ;D and my wife loves it! (more than I can say for the multi watches I own).

Cheers! Hamish.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My interest in timekeepers has evolved over a long time. My dad was a tinkerer and was always working on one mechanical thing or another including clocks so a love of mechanical things is in the blood. Initially I got interested in clocks through a co-corker. He bought a Gilbert walnut case shelf clock along with some other antiques and it ended up with me. I did some research iunto the company and bought a book on repairing old clocks. That led to a clock repair class led my none other than Marvin Whitney and acquiring a small collection of clocks. American clocks led to american pocketwatches, membership in NAWCC and that evolved into wristwatches. I love reading up on the history of a company as much as finding one of their timekeepers so I have lots of books to supplement the collection.

Enjoy the deco styled wall clock!

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
HaggisCan said:
I guess I'm too old to learn how to do the "quote" thingy or the html thingy (although it worked fine on the old forum ??? ). I'd like to put a reply to specific posters (as worked well on the old forum) but until then, it'll just have to go on the bottom.
Hamish, you are not too old and it is very easy. on the top right hand corner of every single post you will see a link that says quote. click on that and you will be transfered to a post window which will include a quote of the post you are replying to. Just type your reply below that post.

As for coding, you don't have to do coding if you don't want to. the forum posts are done in a rich text editor. you can copy and paste already formatted text and it WILL retain it's formatting. You can do the same for pictures already uploaded online somewhere. If you want, you can also format your text by highlighting the section you wish to format and clicking on any of the buttons in the toolbar above your post window - just like you would do in a word processing program like Word or WordPerfect.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Clocks are good.

This has the makings of a great thread!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Just dredged up a photo of my Seikosha wall clock found here in a used store in Japan back in 2004...for $50usd....lucky I did buy it since very few of these are seen in the used stores now! There is a vintage trend going on here!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thianwong said:
Just dredged up a photo of my Seikosha wall clock found here in a used store in Japan back in 2004...for $50usd....lucky I did buy it since very few of these are seen in the used stores now! There is a vintage trend going on here!

[/quote]

Interesting. I checked mine and there is no indication of the maker on the dial, but the font used for the numbers is identical. I'll pull the movement and dial over the weekend and see if I can find anything on the plates.

Mine was gifted to me in Ecuador in about 1986 and, as I mentioned, was in very poor condition. I enjoyed fixing it up and to this day, it hangs on my wall, striking the hours and half hours (and keeping excellent time too - as long as I remember to wind it up :-) ).

Cheers! Hamish.

p.s. Thanks to Isthmus for the quick lesson in posting - we'll see how well I understood in this reply :-).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts