The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not a Seiko one, but a Casio AMW320D as worn by Arnie in 'Kinder Garden Cop' and 'Last Action Hero' :D
Just arrived from LA for the grand sum of $22 inc delivery :cool:
I've tidied up the bezel, removed the insert, scrapped off all the glue on the back and in the bezel groove, flattened off the insert to remove creases, then re-dished it carefully and sprung it back into the bezel. One thing that I still need to do is reposition the chapter ring which has appeared to have moved a bit. :( That's a job for tomorrow though.;)

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Incredible value John, the watch looked very tatty in the seller's picture

and no one else appeared to be interested in it. It came with the original rubber dive band, in good condition but as hard as a board! I've tried boiling it, got nice and flexible, but immediately it cooled it went rock hard again so I have put one of my 'stock' cheap rubber straps on it for the time being. I'll wipe the movement out tomorrow and re-align the chapter ring. Really quite pleased with this acquisition.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
well these are a very under rated watch...great find...God Bless John

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I bought a mint one for $15 bucks two years ago. All it needed was a battery. I was going to resell it because I am a Seikoholic but when I saw that I would probably only get $25 bucks I kept it. jringo sent me two watches with enough parts to make another good one out of the 2 watches but I have not gotten to it yet.
I was amazed at how little they were reselling for. Like John (Tiger) stated if it was a Seiko it would be 4 times as much. I like dials with analog/digital displays anyway. It does make it on my wrist once in a while too.

Michael

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I've had another quick go at it and re-aligned the chapter ring. I also found out how the bezel insert got buggered up. When I rotated the bezel the bezel insert popped out again due to the fact that the crystal had been replaced at sometime and it was not pushed in square but was high on one side and acted like a cam, pushing the bezel insert out :mad:. I very carefully re-seated it with the crystal press and refitted the bezel insert, which now stays in. :)
Am I right in assuming that the crystal should be flat with a beveled edge as the one in mine is domed :confused: but now it's fitted correctly looks great:cool:
I don't suppose anyone on here knows a source of replacement bezel inserts for this watch? While my one doesn't look too alarming a new one would be nice.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have a complete spare rotating ring with insert from the donor watch. It is a little scratched up and slightly faded but it is not bent up.
The crystal on these models is beveled in and then end up actually a little bit higher than the top of the insert. It is a tight fit and there is not much of a gap between the insert and the crystal so if that crystal was not properly seated it would definitely hit the bezel insert. If your interested let me know. It would cost about 8 quid for freight to ship over to you if you want it. Just let me know and thank jringo as he is the one who gave me the two watches and that's why I have this spare bezel assembly.

Michael

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
well i am glad to see those will get a second life ...nothing better than seeing that...God Bless John

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The crystal in my watch Michael has no bevel edge at all but rises as a dome from the point it fits into the case, the top of the dome protruding 1.56mm above the top face of the bezel. This is what it looks like now I have improved the chapter ring alignment (perfect at 3 o'clock and at 6 o'clock but still out a bit at 9 & 12 :confused:) and re-seated the crystal which has allowed me to flatten off the bezel insert insitu, so it is not distorted at all now but has some marks. I might well be able to touch up the scratches with black then lacquer the insert, well worth a try.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I would be willing to beat it is the wrong crustal fitted in that case. Seiko Citizen Casio they all love their beveled edge crystal of their larger watches and almost always use them on the watches with rotating bezels. That dome probably rises to much to quickly from the edge making for a really tight fit for the bezel insert. Both of mine have beveled edge crystals in them much like the Seiko SKX divers and they are dead flat all the way across.

Michael

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Here you can see the Seiko type bevel edge to the crystal right at thr 40 mark.

Here you can see how little room there is between the crystal and insert

and here you can see the flat top of the crystal that sit just slight higher than the bezel

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
They are good watch and very durable also. I had a few and they went to
a member on here. I have a couple more in a box that are brand new also
working good and have had them now about a year or so. I use to use them when I worked years ago and they never failed too.
I even used them for swimming and diving too and they were tops for that too.
Very useful watch's and they look nice too. Lot of people here use them also and the surfer's too.
Aloha Louis

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well a small update.... this morning, in my somewhat half asleep state I dropped the watch in the bathroom! :eek:hmy: I picked it up, with some trepidation, expecting to see the crystal cracked, or the hands loose, but no all was well. However something had been jarred! The chapter ring now lines up perfectly on all points of the watch face :cool: Now there's a result!!
Ok confirming, as I suspected, that the crystal was not OEM. It is a very high dome one though and the rise of the dome takes it away from the bezel insert, such that there is probably about a 0.2 mm gap, all the way round between the crystal and the inside edge of the bezel insert, now that the crystal is fitted properly :)

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well a small update.... this morning, in my somewhat half asleep state I dropped the watch in the bathroom! :eek:hmy: I picked it up, with some trepidation, expecting to see the crystal cracked, or the hands loose, but no all was well. However something had been jarred! The chapter ring now lines up perfectly on all points of the watch face :cool: Now there's a result!!
Ok confirming, as I suspected, that the crystal was not OEM. It is a very high dome one though and the rise of the dome takes it away from the bezel insert, such that there is probably about a 0.2 mm gap, all the way round between the crystal and the inside edge of the bezel insert, now that the crystal is fitted properly :)
It's not wrong it's just custom one of a kind!:)

Michael

1 - 18 of 18 Posts