The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in Tokyo on a LONG holiday! Went to the Seiko Museum last week...it was fantastic...great watches and great people. Just make sure you call ahead and book an appointment. I was able to call in the morning and set up a tour in the early afternoon. It was rainy and they were not too busy. I was toured around by Masayasu Akizawa - senior manager - who spoke English and was very informative.

I went to an antique show just outside Tokyo today and spotted a 6159 for sale. It looked great, but upon closer inspection the hands and dial were a bit corroded (no worse than the example that was at the Seiko Museum). The crown did not screw down properly and the bezel popped off when I handled the watch. I believe the seller wanted approximately $2000 US for the watch. Tempting but I have already spent so much money here!

Anyways...they have soooo many Seiko's here - I have never seen so many GS's

Will post pics next week.

Happy to be back in the New forum!

Pete
aka crayfish
(at least I was able to re register my old user name)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Hey Crayfish, good to hear from you. It sounds like you had a great time. I love that last picture with the sun dial. Talk about a vintage seiko. O0

Please do post some pictures of your adventures in Japan when you have some time.

all the best,

Isthmus

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
That is awesome, looks like a lot of fun. I may be out there on business later in the year and will see what I can do to squeeze in some time for a tour.

Please post more pics when you get time....

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Out of curiosity, does the museum have one of every watch they have made on display or would that be a ridiculous feat to achieve?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The museum does allow photos to be taken...at least they let me take a bunch. I will definitely post the pics, but they are not good quality pics as all the watches are behind glass and I could not spend too much time making adjustments etc... as my wife was getting annoyed. As for the size of their collection, they do not have an example of every watch, but they do try to get examples of the "firsts" ie. first Grand Seiko, first with center second, first LCD, first diver... they also have a clock section and a history of time keeping section. I was also told it was the anniversary of the GS (I don't know which year) and as such, many of their higher end GS's were on loan to larger department stores for dislay. As I said, a good couple of hours spent there.

Pete
aka crayfish

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hi Pete

One of my nicest 6105-8110s w/ Waffle Strap came from you, few yrs back, and when the Org Waffle strap came Broken, you replaced it
with the one you had left. I will always remember that, in a Smiling Way. Looking forward to your Pics
Regards

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good to see you here Pete...

I'll never forget your story of fixing your bosses watch,
classic.

Enjoy japan and welcome back

kmc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the warm reception. I just came upon a very minty 6309-7040...I originally thought it was perfect, but then noticed the ding on the bezel and insert...but the case, dial, hands and caseback are immaculate! I will post pics later...may be a keeper...

Pete
aka crayfish

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
I have made the resolution to travel to Japan before the end of this decade. with 2 small children now on board, it is something I am not in a hurry to do. But hopefully in 5-6 years we can make this yet another family trip of our lifetimes.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts