21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

·
Special Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I find that the Fonts are fascinating - the S in both Sports and Speed-Timer :) I find it's difficult to see the Tiny Print on a Watch Dial. On the Box and In Large Print you can really see the Detail of the Different Fonts that Seiko used.

Also the end of the T is used for the Dot in the i ;) (I never noticed that before)

Now If I just had 5 Early 6000 Speed-Timers to fill the Slots :) Tom if you would like to "loan" me your Yellow Speed-Timer just to see how it looks in Slot 1 that would be a Good Start. OK?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
We know we've Totally Lost It when we start collecting boxes...........lol

That box is Cool Beans! I'll send my Speedtimer right over..............:)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Reactions: bigbluekyle

·
Special Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for sharing the article. Very interesting that the Breitling Box was used as a Salesman's Sample Box. I originally thought the Seiko Sports 5 Speed-Timer box might have been used for delivering watches to Retailers. But it could also have been a Sample Box used to show off Seiko Watches to potential retailers. I particularly liked this quote in the article

"I'd almost argue that the box should be of greater interest than the watches, as the watches you've likely seen in some form before, but the box tells of the brand's structure and strategy. "

Great article - Thanks again for Sharing!

·
Registered
584 Posts
I find that the Fonts are fascinating - the S in both Sports and Speed-Timer :) I find it's difficult to see the Tiny Print on a Watch Dial. On the Box and In Large Print you can really see the Detail of the Different Fonts that Seiko used.

Also the end of the T is used for the Dot in the i ;) (I never noticed that before)

Now If I just had 5 Early 6000 Speed-Timers to fill the Slots :) Tom if you would like to "loan" me your Yellow Speed-Timer just to see how it looks in Slot 1 that would be a Good Start. OK?

Amazing that you get to notice (and get fascinated by) all these tiny details...particularly the dot in the i. I would never have noticed it if you had not pointed it out!...and you were saying you struggle with seeing small details.

·
Special Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Amazing that you get to notice (and get fascinated by) all these tiny details...particularly the dot in the i. I would never have noticed it if you had not pointed it out!...and you were saying you struggle with seeing small details.

Here is an example of an Original 6139 Dial. The Speed-Timer text is just not very well defined. Looking at the Large and Sharp Print on the Speed-Timer Box you can clearly see the Seiko 6139 Font Details - not so much on the Dial.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Here is an example of an Original 6139 Dial. The Speed-Timer text is just not very well defined. Looking at the Large and Sharp Print on the Speed-Timer Box you can clearly see the Seiko 6139 Font Details - not so much on the Dial.

Yes, that clearly demonstrated what you meant...

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Its the little things I like as well :)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Wow, some fascinating "stuff" on display thus far. It's funny how our tendency to accumulate things evolves starting with a favorite rock, acorn, chestnut or other miscellany as a kid to what now generates a bit of a sense of wonder. I've kept all my watch boxes as well but nothing as complete as what's on display here save for one. I still have both the watch and the box that my first Seiko came in back in '66. It was a Christmas present and back then, I was a bit of a snoop when it came to presents. Knowing a package arrived from my Godparents had arrived, I couldn't help myself so I used a letter opener to pry back the packaging to sneak a peek. I ended up scarring up the watch box a tad and while no one else noticed, I sure did and to this day, it still makes me smile ;)

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Wow, some fascinating "stuff" on display thus far. It's funny how our tendency to accumulate things evolves starting with a favorite rock, acorn, chestnut or other miscellany as a kid to what now generates a bit of a sense of wonder. I've kept all my watch boxes as well but nothing as complete as what's on display here save for one. I still have both the watch and the box that my first Seiko came in back in '66. It was a Christmas present and back then, I was a bit of a snoop when it came to presents. Knowing a package arrived from my Godparents had arrived, I couldn't help myself so I used a letter opener to pry back the packaging to sneak a peek. I ended up scarring up the watch box a tad and while no one else noticed, I sure did and to this day, it still makes me smile ;)

View attachment 454993
That is simply an amazing story and such a special special watch I am blown away.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Thanks Jon, glad you got a kick out of that. One other thing I distinctly remember aside from how big the watch was, was feeling slightly disappointed it said "Made In Japan" on the dial. Another reason to chuckle!
...was the general sentiment then as generations up to the baby boomers all got a glimpse and taste of the quality of products "Made In Japan" during its 'dark ages' in manufacturing!...may now sound foreign (absurd?) to subsequent generations.

Would be interesting to know if the same sentiment applies to "Made in China" watches...

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
...was the general sentiment then as generations up to the baby boomers all got a glimpse and taste of the quality of products "Made In Japan" during its 'dark ages' in manufacturing!...may now sound foreign (absurd?) to subsequent generations.

Would be interesting to know if the same sentiment applies to "Made in China" watches...
That is a good question and I suspect the sentiment still applies in many cases (pun not intended) but for perhaps different reasons?

·
Registered
584 Posts
That is a good question and I suspect the sentiment still applies in many cases (pun not intended) but for perhaps different reasons?
Sorry for getting off topic here, but that question popped up when I saw your "Made in Japan" comment coupled with this comment - "Also, many people hear the words “Made in China” and think that it is poor quality,..." from this blog:

·
Special Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Off Topic - Made in Japan :)

Led Zeppelin performs Communication Breakdown in Japan in 1969 to promote Led Zeppelin I

·
Special Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I just noticed that the 2 boxes are marked differently

My Box is marked 70-SP and the other Box is marked 61-SPM. I have no clue of the meaning of either? Any ideas or quesses as to the meaning would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Just an amazing extra bit or 'accoutrements' to get fancy with the word choice. Excites the true collector to surround the vintage watch with a nice bit of vinrage collateral. Love it. Great score Kyle !

REALLY makes the era come alive. When you stop to think about it. it is an amazing piece of history, old cardboard that survived bugs and moisture and kids and every 'clean up the house' campaign.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts