The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the journey of my Blue TST has taken yet another turn. What started out as a modified SKX009 with AM parts from Harold, Noah & Jake, this watch continued its metamorphosis with additional pieces courtesy of Dave Murphy and most recently John Bentley. Now I’ve always fancied blue dials but finding the “right” one has always been and continues to be, a challenge. As much as I enjoyed watching this mod take shape over the years, I can honestly say that that the dial never really rocked my boat so to speak. After having John fit one his finely crafted shrouds to it, I figured that it was complete. Nonetheless I still had a case of the blues and after seeing many other fine examples of the “real” and “repro” tunas, I figured by re-fitting OEM pieces I’d have a watch that was more about familiarity than novelty. Having seen Carlo's work his magic with OEM swaps and “MrWozza” ‘s TST renderings over at SCWF, I set out sourcing the necessary parts. Carlo supplied the 171 dial & chapter ring (thank you Carlos!) and then I contacted Duarte at NorthEast Watch Works for the Samurai Ti hands and since Duarte is an AD for Dagaz Watches, figured a new insert and flat sapphire crystal would also be in order. Duarte then put ‘er all together for me. Thank you Duarte!

Branding is a curious thing and I’m as susceptible as the next guy but hey, it is a Seiko after all, right?

Then:

Now:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nice! I gotta say though, it really needs the superdome. Murphy bezel + superdome is perfection IMO.

I've got mine all ready to go...just waiting for Tiger to work his magic!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice! I gotta say though, it really needs the superdome. Murphy bezel + superdome is perfection IMO.

I've got mine all ready to go...just waiting for Tiger to work his magic!
Trust me, I seriously considered the superdome but given the more limited bezel insert options, I played it "safe". That plus I wanted a more puck-like look. The real reason is I didn't want Brad "MrMozza" to think I was stalking him.

Looking forward to seeing yours big guy!

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I must say Russ I thought the original blue mod worked quite well but did not like it in the TST guise. I tried both myself but using Dox-A hands and found I preferred the blue Soxa dial on a shroudless watch with a stainless insert.

The PM'sTST looks very good, I could live with that:93:

BTW: I know it all comes down to personal preference, I tried plain, BB and domed inner crystals and settled on a inner domed sapphire because after a honeymoon period with the BB I felt a high dome on my TST did not suit its character.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I will always go with blue if given a choice most of the time. Though it dies have to be the right shade of blue. I prefer the shot of it with the blue dial myself. My buddy who while not a hard core collector but does like watches always picks up the blue dial watches when looking though my collection.

Michael

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I must say Russ I thought the original blue mod worked quite well but did not like it in the TST guise. I tried both myself but using Dox-A hands and found I preferred the blue Soxa dial on a shroudless watch with a stainless insert.

The PM'sTST looks very good, I could live with that:93:

BTW: I know it all comes down to personal preference, I tried plain, BB and domed inner crystals and settled on a inner domed sapphire because after a honeymoon period with the BB I felt a high dome on my TST did not suit its character.
I think you're right Mike, the blue works better with a non-shrouded case. Admittedly, the 1st gen Soxa dials were novel when they came out, but there wasn't any lume and the chromed indices were a tad dressy. Subsequent Soxa variations are that much better imho.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will always go with blue if given a choice most of the time. Though it dies have to be the right shade of blue. I prefer the shot of it with the blue dial myself. My buddy who while not a hard core collector but does like watches always picks up the blue dial watches when looking though my collection.

Michael
Finding the right shade of blue is tough. Oddly enough, while Seiko makes some of the finest looking blue dials, they're often "shimmering"and as strange as this may sound, I prefer the blue to be monochromatic, By the way, I still have this to give me a fix!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Russ I loved your blue dial TST as it was something a bit different. But I love what you've done and totally get what you mean about having a branded dial. Great choice of hands that elevates it further. You've got to try that with a great flat vent rubber now black on black with all that steel shroud is just cool... or even - dare I say - black leather!

I'm seriously wanting to upgrade my movement to 6R15 for the hand winding hacking... just haven't had the time of late.

Mine says hi :)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Russ I loved your blue dial TST as it was something a bit different. But I love what you've done and totally get what you mean about having a branded dial. Great choice of hands that elevates it further. You've got to try that with a great flat vent rubber now black on black with all that steel shroud is just cool... or even - dare I say - black leather!

I'm seriously wanting to upgrade my movement to 6R15 for the hand winding hacking... just haven't had the time of late.

Mine says hi :)

Thanks very much Brad. Your pieces played a big part in going this route. I just slapped on a BC flat vent yesterday.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can smell the vanilla from here...
Yeah, ain't it grand? I recall another member saying he found it overwhelming but frankly, I don't notice it unless I hold my schnozz up to it. They're just plain comfortable and are a more than adequate alternative to the Z-22's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts