The Watch Site banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Just picked up a very cool 70s Certina diver that I plan to post as soon as I get a chance to take some pics. It came on a 'vintage' Swiss Tropic but the Hong Kong stamp on the buckle suggests otherwise. No matter because I think it would look better on an ISOFRANE anyway. So the question is NOS vs the re-release version. I've never owned either but from the pics I've seen there are subtle differences between the 2. The caliber of the watch would justify a NOS one but my concern is the durability of a 40 yo strap even if it's unused. I'd hate for it to fail and destroy this awesome timepiece. Is this a valid concern? I'd appreciate advice from all you vintage strap experts.

BTW I'm a wearer not a hoarder so this watch will see plenty of wrist time.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Have a number of new ones and think they are great. They are very thick, so keep that in mind. As far as vintage, would not risk the watch on a 40 year old strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have a number of the old original Isofranes and love them, I also have a 22mm black new one, quite different, the new ones are a fair bit thicker and its a different compound, I dont think you will have trouble with an old one 'ageing' in the same way as a ror example a Seiko one of the same period, the Iso compound is unique and doesnt get brittle like a plastic / rubber one, all my vintage ( 5 ? ) Isos I would trust not to break.... The new Isos look the same but dont feel the same..... Its a great strap though, but for me, vintage all the way......
Shame its at the wrong end of the row, but here is my 1000m Ph DS on a original Isofrane, as is the Benthos, GL831 on the 6306 and big hole Tropic on the Tudor....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a number of the old original Isofranes and love them, I also have a 22mm black new one, quite different, the new ones are a fair bit thicker and its a different compound, I dont think you will have trouble with an old one 'ageing' in the same way as a ror example a Seiko one of the same period, the Iso compound is unique and doesnt get brittle like a plastic / rubber one, all my vintage ( 5 ? ) Isos I would trust not to break.... The new Isos look the same but dont feel the same..... Its a great strap though, but for me, vintage all the way......
Shame its at the wrong end of the row, but here is my 1000m Ph DS on a original Isofrane, as is the Benthos, GL831 on the 6306 and big hole Tropic on the Tudor....
Hey Jason

Thanks for your input. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Ironically the Certina I picked is the same as yours, just the DS-3 version. From what you say it seems I wouldn't have a problem with a NOS Iso....which I am leaning toward.

Awesome group of Vintage Divers BTW. Lovin' the Benthos

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
digging up this old thread, how does one differentiate an original iso to one of the newly released versions? is there a read me out there? thx!

<* shark >>><
Here's a link to a pretty extensive comparison on WUS...

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/comparative-review-new-isofrane-strap-370805.html

I ended up purchasing both. A 20mm NOS vintage for my Certina and a new 24mm for my Aquadive Time-Depth. They share the same ladder architecture but differ in the details. The vintage has a more textured finish, it's edges are rounder, it's thinner (3mm vs 5mm) and it's made of a unique compound (isoprene) that makes it incredibly supple and VERY comfortable to wear....I really like it. The new one is not quite as comfortable (but still good)... a consequence of it's thickness which at 5mm makes it a beast! But this works on the Aquadive which is truly a beast in it's own right.

I'll try post pics tomorrow of the 2 side by side.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Jason....your Aquastar Benthos....WOW! :wub::wub::wub:

One of my grails, most definitely. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.