The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

Just picked up a very cool 70s Certina diver that I plan to post as soon as I get a chance to take some pics. It came on a 'vintage' Swiss Tropic but the Hong Kong stamp on the buckle suggests otherwise. No matter because I think it would look better on an ISOFRANE anyway. So the question is NOS vs the re-release version. I've never owned either but from the pics I've seen there are subtle differences between the 2. The caliber of the watch would justify a NOS one but my concern is the durability of a 40 yo strap even if it's unused. I'd hate for it to fail and destroy this awesome timepiece. Is this a valid concern? I'd appreciate advice from all you vintage strap experts.

BTW I'm a wearer not a hoarder so this watch will see plenty of wrist time.

Cheers

·
Monkey Steals Peach
1,851 Posts
Congrats on the Certina, can't wait to see it. I love the vintage Iso's, but if you're going to wear it a lot, I'd go with a new one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone out there have experience with the new Isofrane? Do you like it? How does it stack up against the original?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Have a number of new ones and think they are great. They are very thick, so keep that in mind. As far as vintage, would not risk the watch on a 40 year old strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have a number of the old original Isofranes and love them, I also have a 22mm black new one, quite different, the new ones are a fair bit thicker and its a different compound, I dont think you will have trouble with an old one 'ageing' in the same way as a ror example a Seiko one of the same period, the Iso compound is unique and doesnt get brittle like a plastic / rubber one, all my vintage ( 5 ? ) Isos I would trust not to break.... The new Isos look the same but dont feel the same..... Its a great strap though, but for me, vintage all the way......
Shame its at the wrong end of the row, but here is my 1000m Ph DS on a original Isofrane, as is the Benthos, GL831 on the 6306 and big hole Tropic on the Tudor....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a number of the old original Isofranes and love them, I also have a 22mm black new one, quite different, the new ones are a fair bit thicker and its a different compound, I dont think you will have trouble with an old one 'ageing' in the same way as a ror example a Seiko one of the same period, the Iso compound is unique and doesnt get brittle like a plastic / rubber one, all my vintage ( 5 ? ) Isos I would trust not to break.... The new Isos look the same but dont feel the same..... Its a great strap though, but for me, vintage all the way......
Shame its at the wrong end of the row, but here is my 1000m Ph DS on a original Isofrane, as is the Benthos, GL831 on the 6306 and big hole Tropic on the Tudor....
Hey Jason

Thanks for your input. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Ironically the Certina I picked is the same as yours, just the DS-3 version. From what you say it seems I wouldn't have a problem with a NOS Iso....which I am leaning toward.

Awesome group of Vintage Divers BTW. Lovin' the Benthos

·
Registered
578 Posts
Cheers! I think the only difference between the DS 2 1000m and the DS 3 1000m was a different movement calibre ..... Visually the same though.....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Almost...the DS-2 has raised indices which is prettier IMHO. The trade off being no QS date. Which the DS-3 has. Can't have it all I guess:undecided:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
digging up this old thread, how does one differentiate an original iso to one of the newly released versions? is there a read me out there? thx!

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
digging up this old thread, how does one differentiate an original iso to one of the newly released versions? is there a read me out there? thx!

<* shark >>><
Here's a link to a pretty extensive comparison on WUS...

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/comparative-review-new-isofrane-strap-370805.html

I ended up purchasing both. A 20mm NOS vintage for my Certina and a new 24mm for my Aquadive Time-Depth. They share the same ladder architecture but differ in the details. The vintage has a more textured finish, it's edges are rounder, it's thinner (3mm vs 5mm) and it's made of a unique compound (isoprene) that makes it incredibly supple and VERY comfortable to wear....I really like it. The new one is not quite as comfortable (but still good)... a consequence of it's thickness which at 5mm makes it a beast! But this works on the Aquadive which is truly a beast in it's own right.

I'll try post pics tomorrow of the 2 side by side.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Nice pics Stefan..... If anyone can answer Isofrane questions it's Stefan!
Notice how much effort he's put into the photo, all synced to the same time same date, keepers pushed to the same place and lastly bezels aligned... :cool:
That's a true wis at work...

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Jason....your Aquastar Benthos....WOW! :wub::wub::wub:

One of my grails, most definitely. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts