The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes folks, at the top of the page is SEARCH. It contains many mystical and useful items, available at the click of a keyboard.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've spent more time on internet forums than I'd care to admit over the span of 15 years -- as a user and a moderator -- and I have yet to see any forum successfully enforce or encourage searching before posting. There's a delicate balance between encouraging folks to search (often accompanied by "why was this old thread bumped?" responses) and simply providing the information people seek. At the end of the day, I think we're all here to do the latter.

Another forum I've visited automatically searches as someone types a new topic title, then suggests threads that might answer the question. I found more information about it here:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=201651

·
Registered
657 Posts
One problem I run into with searches is the complete sensory overload that comes with it. If you only have a vague idea or limited search terms you end up getting 30 pages of links, and more than half are FSOT or WTB.

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are certain people on here who are just too bloody lazy to use it, there are others who ask questions and are told where to look ( give a man the tools...) and they consequently ignore the answer and ask the same lazy, inane questions over and again.
The old N54 forum was very pro " use the search" - and with the members support , worked quite successfully.
There is a mountain of information available, which is the sum of much effort and time put in by many forumers and mods past and present - I don't think it's too much to ask for people to actually take two minutes to search, before asking questions.
There are very obviously newbies who will need a nudge in the right direction - that isn't an issue, but there are some who have been here long enough to do some of their own leg work.
The search function includes advanced filters to weed out certain forums and entries, this will cut down greatly on the results given.

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One problem I run into with searches is the complete sensory overload that comes with it. If you only have a vague idea or limited search terms you end up getting 30 pages of links, and more than half are FSOT or WTB.
Hi, I see what you're saying - if you click the search box ,click the "advanced" option, then scroll down and at the bottom right you can choose which forums and child boards to include in your search. EG if you want to search for prices - click on the trade forum option and don't include the others. This will filter out the chaff.

·
Administrator
32,626 Posts
I agree Dave the search engine is a super resource built up by new and old members over the years and used by many of us.

But a few points if I may..........

We should never get complacent with any past or present Seiko information because many times we think we or others have "bottomed" something out only to have further information come to light that can change every thing we thought we knew or just add to what we know, it seems that with Seiko we can generalise but at our own peril claim anything to be 100% fact.

I and I would imagine others sometimes find a question that has perhaps been asked many times before interesting as I wouldent have thought to ask the question but when asked by a member and replied to interesting (sometimes) and new information may be added by a new member or old member.

Personally I still think the only dumb question is the one not asked, but this is just me and I can understand how the very knowledgeable amongst us can get a little jaded hearing the same questions asked with the same answers :(

·
Special Member
2,804 Posts
Well said ,Tiger, I still think that at least some effort should be put in and an attempt at research before firing off question like ' how to tell a fake 6309 dial .'

Rob

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
hey i was always taught better to ask...i love to ask and i have search for many hours myself..i do not mind anyone looking for answers...that is what makes this forum great..we are a wealth of knowledge and the best way to pass it on is to share it..i know we are all busy and i myself do ask a lot of questions....so i always try and pay it forward too...just my 2 cents

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you search on the term "search" you will quickly find out that this frustration has been expressed many many times before....

Sorry, I could not help myself when I came up with this one! All in good fun!

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you search on the term "search" you will quickly find out that this frustration has been expressed many many times before....
Well played, sir. Well played.

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And hopefully , will be discussed many times after......... ( any publicity is good publicity):)

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I love the search facility and use it often. Also browsing through the resources library is jolly informative.

Not using the search box is in my opinion mostly down to lack of education towards its wonderful powers rather than user lazyness. I have been there myself and done that. Also it is nicer to have your own dumb question answered personally and to strike up a dialogue rather than read someone elses dumb question in a dead topic.

When I was asking my dumb questions I was staring out and the kind help and encouragement I received helped turn me into a WIS tinkerer. Especially thinking of Noah Riley.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Even when the question has already been answered several times before?

I think pollyc makes a very good case for this above...

Sometimes a friend starts to tell me a joke or anecdote I have heard before - doesn't mean I'll stop them mid sentence.

On the other hand, if someone has no interest in entering into any sort of dialogue and just wants a quick answer, they should probably just use the search feature!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
507 Posts
Sometimes a friend starts to tell me a joke or anecdote I have heard before - doesn't mean I'll stop them mid sentence.
I don't see how this is relevant. I'm not sure how stopping someone mid sentence, even in the online medium fits in. We are talking about asking questions. Your friend is telling you an anecdote. Apples and oranges. You wouldn't ask him a question that he's already answered twice for you before, unless you were testing his knowledge.

On the other hand, if someone has no interest in entering into any sort of dialogue and just wants a quick answer, they should probably just use the search feature
...which is precisely the original point. The problem is that people tend not to.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't see how this is relevant. I'm not sure how stopping someone mid sentence, even in the online medium fits in. We are talking about asking questions. Your friend is telling you an anecdote. Apples and oranges. You wouldn't ask him a question that he's already answered twice for you before, unless you were testing his knowledge.

...which is precisely the original point. The problem is that people tend not to.

You're quite right, it is apples and oranges and I didn't mean to imply the situations were totally analogous.

I think the point I was trying to make is that I agree with pollyc, sometimes dialogue is valuable for its own sake, even if it is logically unnecessary (e.g. a repeated anecdote or an already answered question). Yes we're here to find out about watches, but also to communicate - surely a forum should be a cross between Wikipedia and a pub (and pubs certainly have their share of repeated unnecessary questions!). I say all this with the caveat that I am a new member, may not be fully familiar with the etiquette of this particular forum, and may in time have less patience for such things...

Anyway, I suspect we essentially agree, I was adding a counterpoint rather than trying to dismiss anyone's frustrations, so apologies if it didn't come across that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
3,878 Posts
If you had done a internet search 100s of years ago the experts would of told you the world was flat :)
Luckily, everything we read on the internet is true..........:eek:

·
Researcher
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you had done a internet search 100s of years ago the experts would of told you the world was flat :)
If you'd done that - you'd have been burned at the stake John, :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts