The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a diver and I'm interested in getting a similar theme watch.

I saw this on sale. It looks lovely but I'm wondering whether it is original?

I did notice at the back it did not have Made in Japan; not it did carry the "Scuba Diver" imprint like other watches.

The seller wants US$160 for it which seems a reasonable price.

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hi
From my own experience it looks like a franken watch.
I would personally stay away from it.
It will probably be full of aftermarket (fake) seiko parts.
The movement on these franken watches usually lead a hard life and are then used in these cobbled together watches.
I would buy a new skx007 and start with a good watch.
As you can probably tell I've had bad experiences with franken watches;-)

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Welcome to the forum smoothcoffee! Good to have you here. You have already experienced the great info available from some of our knowledgeable members. Always remember that you can trust the advice of Jim W. He is a respected and knowledgeable collector of some of the most iconic Seiko divers available. To add a little emphasis to the subject, a Franken watch is a watch made up from parts of different watches with the intention of fooling a buyer into thinking it's original and authentic. Don't make the mistake of thinking a Franken and a mod are the same thing. A mod is a watch that an owner or someone has intentionally changed, upgraded or made to his or her personal liking. Bezels, dials, hands and chapter rings are some of the pieces that can be adapted to make a watch more to an individuals liking and preference.
Post often, show wrist shots of your favorite pieces and never hesitate to ask any questions you may have. My Dad, a man filled to the brim with wisdom beyond his age, used to regularly say, "buddy, always remember, the only stupid question, is the one you don't ask". So, don't be a stranger and share your experiences as a diver. Many of us here in the forum and the hobby in general have dive watches that rarely see water beyond washing our hands. Vintage watches should truly never be near any water imho. For some its taking great care of them, for others it's akin to the upgraded 4X4 that never leaves the street, haha. All together its what makes the hobby great. Again, welcome and enjoy your time here.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,140 Posts
Welcome to the forum smoothcoffee! Good to have you here. You have already experienced the great info available from some of our knowledgeable members. Always remember that you can trust the advice of Jim W. He is a respected and knowledgeable collector of some of the most iconic Seiko divers available.
:eek:hmy: I'm not so sure about that.. !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I like the look of the Seiko diver watches. When I go diving I will usually wear my faithful Casio (modern) watch as a secondary watch; I have a proper diving watch that measures depth and time limits.

But when I free dive or use the swimming pool I like the sleek classic look of the Seiko.

I've used another Seiko diver watch - probably a Frankenstein watch as you call it - in the sea and touch wood it works ok. Looks great too.

I can post more photos of the watches if you like.

I also own Soviet era watches which I find fascinating.

I also own a beautiful Omega speedmaster watch when I purchased from the Omega shop during a bad patch in my life to cheer me up. It still does.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,140 Posts

·
Special Member
2,664 Posts
Hey smoothcoffee, welcome to the forum. For starters if it's not a 6306 it's not a real Scubapro 450. Even if it is a 6306 then you need to closely look at the dial to make sure it's legit. In this case neither one is. (A legit 6306 Scubapro)

Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow. I can't tell the difference. I looked at original ones and this one and they both look the same. What should I look for?

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Dial code. Dial code positioning. Insert texture. Pip size. Hand shape. Seconds hand thickness. Caseback numbering. Case shape. Logo quality and shape. Text shape and colour.

The thread linked above has a lot of information but it can be tricky to spot. Don't expect to find an original 6306-7001 Scubapro 450 dial for less than $1500.

I'd suggest an SKX007 or SKX009, for around that 160 dollar ish price. Then start looking at original 6309-7040 or 6306-7001.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Has anyone noticed that Loy has dropped off the radar?

·
Craftsman
3,830 Posts
Don't expect to find an original 6306-7001 Scubapro 450 dial for less than $1500.
Now come on Guy!!

That would be like telling me "you could never find an original 6105 for $110" But I did...........:) One never knows. there's always Hope!

As found:

Dang, almost forgot to mention the one I found for $75.......From the original owner. Imagine that..........:grin:

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Didn't say never Tom... Just not to expect it. :)

But damn you.... ;)
That first one is such a looker, both for that money... Well I think it wasn't too uncommon just ten/fifteen years ago to see these going for <200. Now? Hmm.... Although there was that NOS one for 200 wasn't there. But as usual it went to some dealer scouring eBay for the latest way to make a load of cash.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts