The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this site and to buying seiko watches. I wanted to purchase some vintage Seiko watches but realized that there can be some fake ones out there. I came across this and wanted to know if anyone can confirm that it is a real Seiko model that was produced. By my research I can't find much on it (using the movement and case numbers combined), which is leading me to think that it is fake. The serial number starts with 7, which could mean that it is a Seiko from 1977, 1987, etc., just judging by the look of it I would think it is older. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this model of Seiko: 7n42-6b40?

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hello, I am new to this site and to buying seiko watches. I wanted to purchase some vintage Seiko watches but realized that there can be some fake ones out there. I came across this and wanted to know if anyone can confirm that it is a real Seiko model that was produced. By my research I can't find much on it (using the movement and case numbers combined), which is leading me to think that it is fake. The serial number starts with 7, which could mean that it is a Seiko from 1977, 1987, etc., just judging by the look of it I would think it is older. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this model of Seiko: 7n42-6b40?
It does look to be a genuine Seiko. It is very rare that the fakers ever did quartz watches like this.
Judging by the style I'm guessing this might be from 1997 or 2007 at the latest.
For what it's worth, most of the date calculators aren't very good at figuring out the decade of manufacture so that is not a good measure of authenticity.
If you like it and are considering buying it I'm pretty sure it's 100% legit. Don't pay too much for it...$35 to $50 tops in this condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information. The logic makes sense that fakers would not do quartz watches. It was listed at $75 but I was able to get it down to $50 and went ahead and purchased. If it does turn out to be a fake it really wasn't that much. I would like to find out what type of Seiko this is so I can try to add a metal band on it.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Looks to be all original including the leather band. You might have noticed that it has these metal fitting, so there may or may not be a steel bracelet available for this watch. You can always fit one with straight ends, of course...

·
Registered
274 Posts
It does look to be a genuine Seiko. It is very rare that the fakers ever did quartz watches like this.
Judging by the style I'm guessing this might be from 1997 or 2007 at the latest.
For what it's worth, most of the date calculators aren't very good at figuring out the decade of manufacture so that is not a good measure of authenticity.
If you like it and are considering buying it I'm pretty sure it's 100% legit. Don't pay too much for it...$35 to $50 tops in this condition.

What he said ;)
Wear in good health!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts