The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just recently came across this forum. I'm looking to get a Seiko 6139-6002 and I'm trying to do as much research as possible before committing. It's a heck of a lot of information to digest though.

Just wanted to check in with the more savvy seiko enthusiasts here whether this particular listing is real or not. Doesn't come with the original bracelet, just an aftermarket strap. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
It's nice to see someone asking before they buy!
Very nice indeed. A shame the bracelet has gone, but who cares, it's lovely.
Interesting serial number, 2N includes some of my favourite Seiko chrono's ... My iridescent blue dial Sunrise and 6138-8010 are both 2N produced.

edit: Silly me I just noticed my Sunrise is 2D. Oh well, it comes to us all with age :D

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I agree, this is a correct watch. It looks very good. And it is a very late RESIST dial. There are some excellent guides on this site to identify a correct 6139, but I don’t have the links handy. I have an almost identical one awaiting restoration. What is the asking price if I may ask? Here is my -6002 as a comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
That is definitely a legit Pogue. The case back is clearly polished FWIW but that does raise a more general hobby concern for me than the question of whether or not the watch is legit - it certainly is. GO FOR IT !
(LOL this is after all the land of enablers here !)

@CombatID you might recall I was the one who first 'published' that Teal Dial Sunrise Pogues are always 2N or 2D case back serial numbers (Nov and Dec 1972). I see a lot of similar characteristics on this case back to what we see with the ones that parcel of fecal matter seller "Seikosis" aka "Fake-osis" on ebay sells with bogus 92... "early Pogue" case backs. Any chance he has faked the 2N case backs now to mate up with those awful fake Teal Sunrise dials?

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It's original but I'd have to question a Nov 72' case back for a Resist Dial. The latest I recall seeing for a Resist Dial was Jan or Feb 72'.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I saw the for sale posting for the watch that has more pictures.
The case appears to be lightly polished but not too big of deal.
Since this watch came from tropical country I’d also be inclined to have a look inside to make sure there is no excessive moisture damage.

·
Premium Member
10,195 Posts
I am by far no expert but the case back doesn't quite look right to me - its too perfect ... too sharp of detail for having been polished.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Case has been refinished, which could explain the case back condition. And seems to be rather decent job.

Out of respect of OP I won’t post the original for sale ad but OP can do so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all for the responses. I may have jumped the gun a little but I decided to go ahead with the purchase. Seller told me that he purchased the watch around 4-5 years ago and he sent it for polishing immediately after.

Turns out it came with a bracelet as well but the seller said the bracelet is aftermarket.

He did tell me he didn't wear the watch much after the first year and he doesn't know much if anything about the originality of the parts. He just bought the watch because he wanted a "Pogue".

Based on what you guys are saying, I'm hoping the caseback is original but decided I can live with it even if it isn't. Will post more pictures over the next few days so you can have a closer look.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I think the caseback is legit. # look like they're stamped , not engraved. Not perfect, couple digits higher than others. Maybe this is done on purpose, like aging the lume.

Rob

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
This just came in today - December '77 6139-6002
The good: watch runs, case lines are sharp, dial and hands are in very nice shape, correct bracelet and end links, outer bezel is in nice shape, inner bezel turns with crown, push-button day/date functions, both pushers function, chrono stops, starts, resets, but the subdial does not reset.
The bad: I can't open the case back to see the movement with my tools, needs a fresh crystal, needs service (+26s/d 230 amplitude, 1.2ms beat error). Can't tell if it's been relumed or not.

If anyone has any comments on whether it looks alright, please reply.

·
Administrator
30,109 Posts
That looks to be really nice, hard to say about relume but I would suspect it hasent been relumed, case back looks good.

This just came in today - December '77 6139-6002
The good: watch runs, case lines are sharp, dial and hands are in very nice shape, correct bracelet and end links, outer bezel is in nice shape, inner bezel turns with crown, push-button day/date functions, both pushers function, chrono stops, starts, resets, but the subdial does not reset.
The bad: I can't open the case back to see the movement with my tools, needs a fresh crystal, needs service (+26s/d 230 amplitude, 1.2ms beat error). Can't tell if it's been relumed or not.

If anyone has any comments on whether it looks alright, please reply.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts